The coronavirus and impacts on travel, visa and permits

The global COVID-19 pandemic continues to impact international students and staff at KI. The following is a summary of the latest updates. Keep yourself informed daily upon latest recommendations!

Check always the latest Information about the corona virus for staff and students at KI first

International PhD students and staff currently in Sweden

If you need to stay longer in Sweden than originally planned or need to leave Sweden earlier:

Residence permits and visas

The main rule is that if you already have a residence permit, you need to apply for extension before your current permit expires and you can stay in Sweden and wait for a new decision. Please, note that you have to discuss this with your supervisor or group leader first and get the documents needed. Otherwise, see the visitor's permit option below. If your passport is about to expire, you should get it renewed as you cannot get a permit for longer than your passport is valid.

If you have applied for an extension of your residence permit and have given biometrics for residence permit card, but need to travel home, you should contact your case officer at the Migration Agency and if possible, ask someone to check your post in Sweden. Normally, the decision and the card are sent to the home address in Sweden.

If you are visiting Sweden but need to stay longer than your visa or residence permit is valid:

If you have applied for an extension on your visa before your current visa expires, you have the right to remain in Sweden until the Migration Agency has made a decision. Please, note that you are not allowed to combine employment with visitor's permit. 

Travel bans

The MFA has extended the advice against travel to countries outside the EU/the EEA/the Schengen area/UK until 31 May 2021. 

KI Housing

Information to PhD-students and staff who reside in accommodation provided by KI Housing

International PhD students and staff about to start studies or research in Sweden

The Government of Sweden has decided to temporarily stop non-essential travel to Sweden so as to mitigate the effects of the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus and reduce the spread of the disease. Furthermore, a negative COVID-19 test is required in some cases. Please, note that the entry regulations differ for entry from:

  • other EU/EEA countries
  • from non-EEA countries

The Government decision 24 March 2021:

  • The general entry ban has been extended until 31 May 2021.
  • The requirement of a negative COVID-19 test will remain in effect for entry from all countries.
  • The separate entry restrictions on travel from Denmark and Norway will be lifted. The amendments apply from 31 March.

The Swedish Police: Travel to Sweden during the corona pandemic

Please, note that most of the non EU citizens need a residence permit card to be able to travel to Sweden. Some Swedish foreign missions/Embassies may be closed due to the pandemic. They intend to open as soon as the situation permits.

Consider following: 

  • keep contact with your group leader or supervisor at KI as well as HR
  • contact the nearest Swedish Embassy or Consulate for more information. Check at for accessibility
  • check travel restrictions in the country you want to travel from as well as for transit (testing, quarantine)
  • check travel restrictions of your airline 
  • contact KI Housing if there are any changes regarding the starting date of your contract


The Swedish Police Authority Border Control (the practical consequences of the entry ban): 

Ministry for Foreign Affairs (staff stationed abroad wanting to return home):, telephone 08-405 92 00.