Upgrade your Mac to macOS Catalina 10.15.x
This user guide is intended for those who need to upgrade their computer to macOS Catalina 10.15.x. It is important that we keep our computers updated to ensure that they are as secure and stable as possible.
Upgrade you computer – step by step
- Make sure you have a current backup of your files.
- Check if you have any old applications that will not work with Catalina.
- Upgrade your computer using Self Service.
Step 1: Make sure you have a current backup
Check that you have a current backup of your files. This can be syncing to OneDrive or copiying to a external media or similar.
Step 2: Check if you have any applications that will not work after the upgrade
1. Launch Starta Self Service and launch “Detect 32-bit apps” under the tab “macOS ”.
2. The computer will now check through the applications installed on the computer and save a report to the Desktop.
3. Open the file”32bit_Applications.txt” located on the Desktop and check if there is any application here that your work depends on. Keep in mind that the programs that come with your computer will also be updated automatically when the upgrade occurs.
Many applications are already available as newer versions to install from Self Service (Cisco AnyConnect is one such application that will be included in the list but newer version is available to install).
If you are unsure, contact IT Support and they will help you out.
Step 3: Upgrade your computer
1. Start Self Service again, under the tab "macOS" you will find "Upgrade to macOS Catalina", click on "Install Upgrade" to start the installation.
2. Now the computer will first download the installation and then the upgrade will start automatically.
3. The installation may take up to an hour to complete and your computer will restart one or more times during the process.
4. When the installation is complete, you will be presented with the login window and you can log in.