I completed my degree in dentistry from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, India, and my doctoral degree (PhD) from Aarhus University, Denmark. I have worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet. Currently, I work as a Research Specialist at the Department of Dental Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, and as Head of Research at the Academic Center for Geriatric Dentistry (ACT), Stockholm Sweden.
My research focuses on clinical and behavioral studies on “orofacial neurosciences” with special emphasis on behavior learning, skill acquisition, and the effects of training in the improvement of oral motor skills. I am also involved in clinical studies investigating how the loss of teeth and impaired chewing function contributes to the development of malnutrition, cognitive impairment, and poor quality of life. As a Ph.D. scholar, I investigated the effect of craniofacial pain and altered orofacial somatosensory inputs on oral fine motor control. I am also interested in mechanisms related to cortical plasticity in the corticomotor pathways associated with the various orofacial muscles. My current research involves identifying the phenotype profile of older people with chewing and swallowing problems. Furthermore, I am developing training paradigms to improve oral functions in older adults.
My teaching responsibilities include supervising doctoral students in a co-supervisory capacity. I also supervise master's students, undergraduate dental students, Visiting Researchers, and Visiting doctoral students in the capacity of both main and co-supervisor.
- 2012-2015: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Section of Orofacial Pain and Jaw Function, Department of Dentistry, Aarhus University, Denmark
- 2002-2007: Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), Bapuji Dental College and Hospital, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health and Sciences, Bangalore, India.
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- Editorial board member: Journal of Oral Rehabilitation
- Editorial board member: BMC Oral Health
- Associate Editor: Frontiers in Dental Medicine
Grants and awards
- 2022: Foundation Nakao
- 2021: Research grant from Stockholm County Council and Karolinska Institutet (SOF: Styrgruppen för Odontologisk Forskning).
- 2021: Foundation Nakao
- 2020: Loo and Hans Osterman Foundation for Medical Research
- 2020: Karolinska Institutet Research Foundation Grants
- 2018: Karolinska Institutet Travel grant
- 2014: Aarhus University, Travel grant for a research stay at Karolinska Institutet, Sweden during PhD.
- 2013: Research support grant for PhD project from Colgate.
- 2012: International mobility scholarship to pursue fully-funded PhD education at Aarhus University, Denmark.
- 2023: KI-NDCS-NTU oral health steering group Seed funding grant
- 2022: Research grant from Stockholm County Council and Karolinska Institutet (SOF: Styrgruppen för Odontologisk Forskning).
- 2021: Karolinska Institutet’s Research Foundation Grants.
- 2021: Patentmedelsfonden
- 2020: KI-NDCS-NTU oral health steering group Seed funding grant
- 2020: Swedish research council (VR)
- 2020: Karolinska Institutet’s Research Foundation Grants.
- 2020: Erik and Edith Fernström Foundation
- 2017: Det Frie Forskningsråd, Danish council for independent research, Denmark.