Academic surgeon focusing on oesophageal and gastric cancer and conditions associated with these tumours, i.e. gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, Barrett's oesophagus, obesity, peptic ulcer and Helicobacter pylori-infection.
Holder of two tenured combined professorships and senior consultant surgeon positions, one full-time at Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, and one part-time at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London.
Member of the Nobel Assembly.
Leader of the research group Upper GI Surgery
CV: MD in 1989, specialist surgeon in 1996, doctorate (PhD) in 1999, consultant surgeon in 2000, docent in surgery in 2001, associate professor of surgery in 2003 and professor of surgery since 2006, all at Karolinska Institutet, and professor and consultant surgeon at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London since 2010.
Supervision: Supervised 40 doctorate students to completed PhDs (21 as main supervisor) and presently supervising another 9 PhD students (4 as main supervisor). Previous or current supervisor of a total of 21 post-doctoral researchers.
Publications: Approximately 400 peer reviewed articles, with the majority (64%) as last or first author, and 100 papers in journals with a journal impact factor (JIF) >10, and here are 20 selected papers:
1. Lagergren J, Bergström R, Lindgren A, Nyrén O. Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux is a strong risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999;340:825-31. Last known journal impact factor (JIF) 74.7.
2. Lagergren J, Ye W, Bergström R, Nyrén O. Utility of endoscopic screening for upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma. JAMA 2000;284:961-2. JIF 45.5.
3. Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Ye W, Hveem K, Lagergren J. Obesity and estrogen as risk factors for symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux. JAMA 2003;290:66-72. JIF 45.5.
4. Rouvelas I, Zeng W, Lindblad M, Viklund P, Ye W, Lagergren J. Survival after surgery for oesophageal cancer: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2005;6:864-70. JIF 33.8.
5. Lagergren J. Controversies surrounding body mass, reflux, and risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:347-9. JIF 33.8.
6. Blomberg J, Lagergren P, Martin L, Mattsson F, Lagergren J. Novel approach to antibiotic prophylaxis in percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG): randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2010;341:c3115. JIF 30.2.
7. Lagergren J, Lagergren P. Oesophageal cancer. BMJ 2010;341:c6280. JIF 30.2.
8. Lagergren J. Influence of obesity on the risk of esophageal disorders. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2011;8:340-7. JIF 29.8.
9. Derogar M, Sadr-Azodi O, Johar A, Lagergren P, Lagergren J. Hospital and surgeon volume in relation to survival after esophageal cancer surgery in a population-based study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:551-7. JIF 32.9.
10. Lagergren J, Lagergren P. Recent developments in esophageal adenocarcinoma. CA Cancer J Clin 2013;63:232-48. JIF 292.3.
11. Tao W, Lagergren J. Clinical management of obese patients with cancer. Nat Rev Clin Oncol 2013;10:519-33. JIF 53.3.
12. Markar SR, Mackenzie H, Johar A, Lagergren P, Hanna GB, Lagergren J. Surgical proficiency gain and survival after esophagectomy for cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016;34:1528-36. JIF 32.9.
13. Lagergren J, Smyth E, Cunningham D, Lagergren P. Oesophageal cancer: Seminar. Lancet 2017;390:2383-96. JIF 60.4.
14. Maret-Ouda J, Wahlin K, El-Serag HB, Lagergren J. Recurrence of gastro-oesophageal reflux symptoms following laparoscopic antireflux surgery in a nationwide cohort study. JAMA 2017;318:939-46. JIF 45.5.
15. Sverdén E, Markar S, Agreus L, Lagergren J. Acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. BMJ 2018;363:k4023. JIF 30.2.
16. Ness-Jensen E, Gottlieb-Vedi E, Wahlin K, Lagergren J. All-cause and cancer-specific mortality in GORD in a population-based cohort study (the HUNT study). Gut 2018;67:209-15. JIF 19.8.
17. Coleman H, Xie S, Lagergren J. The epidemiology of esophageal adenocarcinoma. Gastroenterology 2018;154:390-405. JIF 17.4.
18. Sverdén E, Agréus L, Dunn JM, Lagergren J. Peptic ulcer disease. BMJ 2019;367:l5495. JIF 30.2.
19. Kauppila J, Tao W, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin M, Lynge E, Tryggvadóttir L, Ness-Jensen E, Romundstad P, Pukkala E, Lagergren J. Effects of obesity surgery on overall and disease-specific mortality in a 5-country, population-based study. Gastroenterology 2019;157:119-27. JIF 17.4.
20. Maret-Ouda J, Markar SR, Lagergren J. Gastroesophageal reflux disease: A review. JAMA 2020;324:2536-47. JIF 45.5.
Docent in 2001 and professor since 2006. Currently mainly supervision of PhD students and post-docs, but also some supervision of master students and medical students in projects with us. Bedside-teaching in the clinics and at multi-disciplinary clinical conferences. Teacher at PhD courses. Organiser of seminars, workshops and conferences. Invited speaker at conferences both nationally and internationally.
Specialist in Surgery 1996
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- "Hilda och Alfred Erikssons Prize awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2020
- “United European Gastroenterology Research Prize” for excellence in clinical research in 2017
- “TP Gunton Research Grant Winner” award from the British Medical Association in 2017
- Elected member of the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet from 2017
- "Embassador" for oesophageal cancer for Lancet in 2016-2019
- "Skandia´s Lennart Levi Research Prize" in 2011
- Leader of a research constellation judged as "Outstanding" (highest possible) by an external research assessment (ERA2010) in 2010-2011
- "Distinguished Professor Award" in 2009
- "The primary research supervisor at Karolinska" in 2007
- "Major Research Scholarship in Surgery" in 2004, the first time it was awarded
- "Axel Hirsch Prize in Cancer Research" in 2002