Academic surgeon focusing on oesophageal and gastric cancer and conditions associated with these tumours, i.e. gastro-oesophageal reflux disease, Barrett's oesophagus, obesity, peptic ulcer and Helicobacter pylori-infection.
Holder of two tenured combined professorships and senior consultant surgeon positions, one full-time at Karolinska Institutet and Karolinska University Hospital, and one part-time at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London.
Member of the Nobel Assembly. Chair of the Recruitment Committee.
Leader of the research group Upper GI Surgery
CV: MD in 1989, specialist surgeon in 1996, doctorate (PhD) in 1999, consultant surgeon in 2000, docent in surgery in 2001, associate professor of surgery in 2003 and professor of surgery since 2006, all at Karolinska Institutet, and professor and consultant surgeon at King's College London and Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust in London since 2010.
Supervision: Supervised 45 doctorate students to completed PhDs (24 as main supervisor). Presently supervising another 7 PhD students (6 as main supervisor). Previous supervisor of 20 post-doctoral researchers, and presently another 2.
Publications: Approximately 450 peer-reviewed articles, with the majority (62%) as last or first author.
20 selected original publications:
- Lagergren J, Bergström R, Lindgren A, Nyrén O. Symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux as a risk factor for esophageal adenocarcinoma. N Engl J Med 1999;340:825-31. Latest known journal impact factor (JIF) 158.5.
- Lagergren J, Bergström R, Nyrén O. Association between body mass and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia. Ann Intern Med 1999;130:883-90. JIF 39.2.
- Lagergren J, Ye W, Bergström R, Nyrén O. Utility of endoscopic screening for upper gastrointestinal adenocarcinoma. JAMA 2000;284:961-2. JIF 120.7.
- Lagergren J, Bergström R, Adami HO, Nyrén O. Association between medications that relax the lower esophageal sphincter and risk for esophageal adenocarcinoma. Ann Intern Med 2000;133:165-75. JIF 39.2.
- Freedman J, Ye W, Näslund E, Lagergren J. Association between cholecystectomy and adenocarcinoma of the esophagus. Gastroenterology2001;121:548-53. JIF 29.4.
- Nilsson M, Johnsen R, Ye W, Hveem K, Lagergren J. Obesity and estrogen as risk factors for symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux. JAMA 2003;290:66-72. JIF 120.7.
- Rouvelas I, Zeng W, Lindblad M, Viklund P, Ye W, Lagergren J. Survival after surgery for oesophageal cancer: a population-based study. Lancet Oncol 2005;6:864-70. JIF 51.1.
- Nordenstedt H, Zheng Z, Ye W, Pedersen N, Lagergren J.Postmenopausal hormone therapy as a risk factor for gastroesophageal reflux symptoms among female twins. Gastroenterology 2008;134:921-8. JIF 29.4.
- Lagergren J, Ye W, Lagergren P, Lu Y. The risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma after antireflux surgery. Gastroenterology 2010;138:1297-1301. JIF 29.4.
- Blomberg J, Lagergren P, Martin L, Mattsson F, Lagergren J. Novel approach to antibiotic prophylaxis in percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG): randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2010;341:c3115. JIF 105.7.
- Derogar M, Sadr-Azodi O, Johar A, Lagergren P, Lagergren J. Hospital and surgeon volume in relation to survival after esophageal cancer surgery in a population-based study. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:551-7. JIF 45.3.
- Markar SR, Mackenzie H, Johar A, Lagergren P, Hanna GB, Lagergren J. Surgical proficiency gain and survival after esophagectomy for cancer. J Clin Oncol 2016;34:1528-36. JIF 45.3.
- Maret-Ouda J, Wahlin K, El-Serag HB, Lagergren J. Association between laparoscopic antireflux surgery and recurrence of gastroesophageal reflux. JAMA 2017;318:939-46. JIF 120.7.
- Ness-Jensen E, Gottlieb-Vedi E, Wahlin K, Lagergren J.All-cause and cancer-specificmortality in GORD in a population-basedcohort study (the HUNT study). Gut 2018;67:209-15. JIF 24.8.
- Kauppila J, Tao W, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin M, Lynge E, Tryggvadóttir L, Ness-Jensen E, Romundstad P, Pukkala E, Lagergren J. Effects of obesity surgery on overall and disease-specific mortality in a 5-country, population-based study. Gastroenterology 2019;157:119-27. JIF 29.4.
- Yanes M, Santoni G, Maret-Ouda J, Markar S, Ness-Jensen E, Kauppila J, Färkkillä M, Lynge E, Pukkala E, Tryggvadottir L, von Euler -Chelpin M, Lagergren J. Mortality, reoperation and hospital stay within 90 days of primary and secondary antireflux surgery in a population-based multinational study. Gastroenterology 2021;160:2283-90. JIF 29.4.
- Holmberg D, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin MC, Färkkilä M, Kauppila JH, Maret-Ouda J, Ness-Jensen E, Lagergren J. Incidence and mortality in upper gastrointestinal cancer after negative endoscopy for gastroesophageal reflux disease. Gastroenterology 2022;162:431-8. JIF 29.4.
- Wani S, Holmberg D, Santoni G, Kauppila JH, Farkkila M, von Euler-Chelpin M, Shaheen N, Lagergren J. Magnitude and time-trends of post-endoscopy esophageal adenocarcinoma and post-endoscopy esophageal neoplasia in a population-based cohort study – the Nordic Barrett’s Esophagus Study. Gastroenterology 2023;165:909-19. JIF 29.4.
- Hardvik Åkerström J, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin, Ness-Jensen E, Kauppila J, Holmberg D, Lagergren J. Antireflux surgery versus antireflux medication and risk of esophageal adenocarcinoma in patients with Barrett's esophagus. Gastroenterology 2023 Sep 8:S0016-5085(23)04980-6. JIF 29.4.
- Holmberg D, Santoni G, von Euler-Chelpin M, Färkkilä M, Kauppila JH, Maret-Ouda J, Ness-Jensen E, Lagergren J. Non-erosive gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and incidence of oesophageal adenocarcinoma in three Nordic countries: population-based cohort study. BMJ 2023;382:e076017. JIF 105.7
Docent in 2001 and full professor since 2006. Currently mainly supervision of PhD students and post-docs, but also some supervision of master students and medical students in projects with us. Bedside-teaching in the clinics and at multi-disciplinary clinical conferences. Teacher at PhD courses. Organiser of seminars, workshops and conferences. Invited speaker at international conferences.
Specialist in Surgery 1996
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- "Axel Hirsch Prize in Cancer Research" in 2002
- "Major Research Scholarship in Surgery" in 2004 (first time ever awarded)
- "The primary research supervisor at Karolinska" in 2007
- "Distinguished Professor Award" in 2009
- Elected as Fellow of the “European Academy of Cancer Sciences” in 2010
- Leader of a research constellation judged as "Outstanding" (highest possible) by an external research assessment (ERA2010) in 2010-2011
- "Skandia´s Lennart Levi Research Prize" in 2011
- Elected as member of the Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet in 2017
- “United European Gastroenterology Research Prize” for excellence in clinical research in 2017
- "Hilda och Alfred Erikssons Prize awarded by The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2020
- Main supervisor of a PhD thesis awarded the "Dimitris N. Chorafas Prize" in 2022
- "Reuterskiold Prize" from the Swedish Medical Association in 2023