Senior lab manager
I am in charge of the Macromolecular X-ray crystallography activities at Protein Science Facility, Karolinska Institutet
I am the Macromolecular X-ray Crystallography (MX) manager at Protein Science Facility, Karolinska Institutet in daily use by around 20 researchers. I am organizing the local structural biology community to share synchrotron beamtime, crystallization robot hardware and remotely accessible diffraction data analysis software to achieve common goals and stay competitive in an international environment.
I am coordinating three synchrotron “block allocation groups” at Bessy in Berlin and Diamond Light Source in Oxfordshire and MAX IV in Lund in benefit of seventeen (17) research groups at KI, SU, UU, KTH and LiU resulting in shared beamtime for Macromolecular X-ray diffraction experiments.
I am also part of a team developing a High Performance Computing Macromolecular X-ray crystallography (HPC-MX) software installation at NSC Triolith, LUNARC Aurora and the MAX IV cluster called PReSTO, remotely accessible from any pc, mac or Linux computer with internet access.
I am happy to participate in research activities in support of students/postdocs/PIs with an interest in applying macromolecular X-ray crystallography to their research. I was the assistant supervisor of Madhanagopal Anandapadamanaban (1-3) that defended his thesis in December 2015. I have also supervised postdocs in single projects without being an official supervisor (4-5).
1. High-resolution structure of TBP with TAF1 reveals anchoring patterns in transcriptional regulation. Anandapadamanaban M, Andresen C, Helander S, Ohyama Y, Siponen MI, Lundström P, Kokubo T, Ikura M, Moche M, Sunnerhagen M Nat Struct Mol Biol 2013 Aug;20(8):1008-14
2. Mutation-Induced Population Shift in the MexR Conformational Ensemble Disengages DNA Binding: A Novel Mechanism for MarR Family Derepression. Anandapadamanaban M, Pilstål R, Andresen C, Trewhella J, Moche M, Wallner B, Sunnerhagen M Structure 2016 08;24(8):1311-1321
3. E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase TRIM21-mediated lysine capture by UBE2E1 reveals substrate-targeting mode of a ubiquitin-conjugating E2. Anandapadamanaban M, Kyriakidis NC, Csizmók V, Wallenhammar A, Espinosa AC, Ahlner A, Round AR, Trewhella J, Moche M, Wahren-Herlenius M, Sunnerhagen M J Biol Chem 2019 07;294(30):11404-11419
4. Enzymatic production of 'monoclonal stoichiometric' single-stranded DNA oligonucleotides. Ducani C, Kaul C, Moche M, Shih WM, Högberg B Nat Methods 2013 Jul;10(7):647-52
5. Combined x-ray crystallography and computational modeling approach to investigate the Hsp90 C-terminal peptide binding to FKBP51. Kumar R, Moche M, Winblad B, Pavlov PF Sci Rep 2017 10;7(1):14288
I am ususally teaching first and second year medical and biomedical students in fundamental concepts regarding
protein, lipid and carbohydrate structure and function
vitamins and cofactors
energy metabolism such as glucolysis, TCA cycle and oxidative phosphorylation
adding impact of diabetes on insulin/glucagon regulation on gluconeogenesis, glycogenolysis and glycogen synthesis
chemical binding in organic chemistry
2003-2005 postdoc with prof. Pär Nordlund at Stockholm University
1991-1997 M.Sc. degree in Molecular Biophysics at Umeå University