Affiliated to research
I am a postdoctoral researcher in Professor Catarina Almqvist Malmros research group. My research focus is on the epidemiology of early-life exposures and childhood atopic diseases using different quantitative methods on data extracted from the Swedish health and population registers and the Swedish Twin Registry.
I have previously worked on studies involving human-animal interaction and cardiovascular disease, and also on infectious diseases (tuberculosis and HIV).
My primary research has been on the association between early-life exposures, such as antibiotic use, the mode of delivery and eczema. This is done in the Appeasing the wheezing cohort using traditional epidemiological methods and sibling design studies.
Other work has included twin studies in growth and asthma using the Child and Adolescent Twin Study in Sweden (CATSS) and the Swedish Twin study On Perinatal characteristics to Prevent Asthma (STOPPA) twin cohorts. The STOPPA twin cohort is also being used to understand how the gut microbiome is associated with asthma phenotypes.
Prior to that I worked in operational research on HIV, TB and sexual and reproductive health projects in South Africa, Lesotho and Malawi. I also worked as a clinical research fellow and trial investigator on the investigation of management of pericarditis clinical trial.
- Member of the Medical Women's Association of Zambia
- Reference group member of the Zambian Professional Diaspora Network
- Member of the Médecins Sans Frontières UK Association
1. At Karolinska Institutet
Coordinator on the Medical Degree Program (Term 8).
Supervision of ex jobb students including:
- Adam Sassi Johansson
- Amanda Wikström
- Elin S. Rohlin
- Marlene Stratmann
2. Outside of Karolinska Institutet
- Presenter on PhD Course: One Health - concept, cases and methodology at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- Mentor in the Network for African-European Women Scientists association
- Postdoctoral Researcher in Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet (2019- )
- PhD in Molecular Epidemiology, Uppsala University, Sweden (2018)
- Master of Public Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa (2014)
- Master of Medical Science in Nephrology, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom (2008)
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB), University of Zambia, Zambia (2004)