Assistant senior lecturer
Docent and team leader for the team inflammation and metabolism, I am interested in understanding how the immune system regulates skeletal muscle function and metabolism.
Born in the French Alps, I moved to Lyon (France) to do my PhD in the laboratory of Dr. Hubert Vidal. In 2011, I joined Prof. Amira Klip's laboratory in Toronto (Canada), where I started working on immunometabolism using in vitro models of inflammation and insulin resistance. I joined the Karolinska Institutet in 2015 as a Marie-Sklodowska Curie fellow (European Commission funded) and have been a team leader since 2021.
The field of immunometabolism builds on evidence for the contribution of immunity to the pathogenesis of obesity and type 2 diabetes (T2D). Tissues involved in whole body metabolism become inflamed under metabolic stress and after exercise. However, exercise-associated inflammation and diabetes-associated inflammation trigger different outcomes: the former is needed to confer training adaptations, while the latter contributes to insulin resistance. In these contexts, the study of skeletal muscle immunometabolic responses has been neglected: the association between physical activity and immunometabolic responses and the impact of skeletal muscle inflammation on whole body insulin sensitivity is unknown.
My research aims at characterising the immunometabolic responses and identifying novel intervention targets to extinguish or selectively promote components of inflammation with the ultimate aim to improve insulin sensitivity.
- Course director. KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden (2022-present). Advanced physiology courses in the Master's Programme in Medical Engineering.
- Course director. Karolinska Institutet, Sweden (2021-present). Physiology course in the Bachelor's Programme in Biomedicine.
- Lecturer. Stockholm University, Sweden (2018-present). Molecular physiology course.
- Lecturer. Karolinska Institutet, Sweden (2016-present). Undergraduate and doctoral courses.
- Lecturer. Université de Lyon, France (2009-2010). Lab courses and tutorials in the bachelor's program in biochemistry.
- Lecturer. Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (INSA), France (2007-2010). Lectures on drug development and lab courses in pharmacology at the bachelor level.
- Post-doctoral training, Hospital for Sick Children / University of Toronto, Canada
- PhD Thesis, University de Lyon / INSA de Lyon, France
- Master’s degree, Université Claude Bernard, Lyon, France
- Bachelor’s degree, Université Joseph Fourrier, Grenoble, France
Academic honours, awards and prizes
- EFSD/NNF future leader award, 2021
- Docent. Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 2021.
- Individual Fellowship. Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, European Union, 2016.
- Research Fellowship. Heart and Stroke Foundation (HSF), Canada, 2013.
- Hugh Sellers Fellowship. Banting and Best Diabetes Centre, Canada. 2012.