Muhammad Ridwanul Amin
As a physician, I worked for 3 years on projects aimed at improving child and adolescent health in Bangladesh. Following my Master degree in Public Health Sciences (Epidemiology) in 2016 at Karolinska Institutet, I joined Ellenor Mittendorfer-Rutz’ research group (MENTE- Mental Health and Social Integration) as a doctoral (PhD) student in 2017 and successfully defended my thesis on "Suicidal behaviour and healthcare use among refugees" in 2021. Currently, I am working on several projects as a postdoctoral researcher in the MENTE research group:
- AFA youth (Depression/anxiety syndrome and sick leave among young workers in the private sector - patterns and the importance of work environment factors): In this project, we are investigating if the sectors of employment and occupational classes are associated with work disability due to common mental disorders and whether there are time period effects in such associations. Trajectories of work disability due to common mental disorders are also investigated.
- RESPOND (Preparedness of health systems to reduce mental health and psychosocial concerns resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic): Within a consortium among Sweden, Italy and Spain, we are investigating the consequences of the covid-19 pandemic on rates of work disability and suicidal behaviour.
- RMSR (Resiliency, Mental Health and Social Participation among Refugees): We are exploring if labour market marginalisation differs among refugees and non-refugee migrants from specific countries of birth migrating to different host countries (Sweden and Norway).
Presented in the section below on publications. I have so far published 13 papers in international peer-reviewed journals, of which six as first author and two as senior author.
1. Bjorkenstam E, Amin R, Mittendorfer-Rutz E. Suicidal behaviour and care - differences between refugees, other migrants and people born in Sweden (in Swedish). Delmi Policy Brief 2019:9. Available at: https://www.delmi.se/publikationer/policy-brief-2019-9-suicidalt-beteende-och-vard/
2. Mittendorfer-Rutz E, Amin R, Niederkrotenthaler T, Björkenstam E, Helgesson M, Qin P, Runeson B, Tinghög P, Mehlum L. Mental ill-health and suicidal behaviour in asylum seekers and refugees during the COVID-19 pandemic. Suicidologi. 2020;25(1).
3. Amin R. Suicidal behaviour and healthcare use among refugees. [dissertation]. Stockholm (SWE): Karolinska Institutet; 2021. Available at: https://openarchive.ki.se/xmlui/handle/10616/47714
Lecturer (part-time - 50%), Public Health Emergencies and Health Crisis Management (semester course), DIS study abroad, Stockholm
Lecturer (part-time - 50%), Public Mental Health (summer course), DIS study abroad, Stockholm
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), 2021, Public Health and Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Master of Medical Science (MMSc), 2016, Public Health and Epidemiology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS), 2010, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Academic honours, awards and prizes
Swedish Institute Study Scholarship Category I (2014-2016)