Biomedicum is a new inspirational research environment for world class biomedical science. In Biomedicum researchers from different scientific disciplines work together under one roof and create new synergistic approaches to achieve scientific breakthroughs. The scientists are supported by state of the art techniques and advanced infrastructure and the labs are designed to allow a dynamic and flexible organization of large and small research teams.
Promoting novel research opportunities
Science advances continuously and yet, we don’t have all the fundamental answers to the biology underlying human health. Significant challenges remain. World class research today requires both a broad approach and cutting-edge knowledge.
Biomedicum will offer an integrated research environment where important biomedical questions can be addressed. We will identify and promote novel research opportunities and new scientific interactions between our research groups. This will bring synergies and with different expertise and techniques at the forefront, it will help to understand the regulation of genes and the function of proteins from a broad perspective of biochemistry, cell biology, neurology and physiology.
Biomedicum will enable interdisciplinary medical research of the highest quality and improve our understanding of diseases and how to find new ways to prevent, diagnose, treat and improve human health.
Biomedicum will be the home of the Departments of:
- Cell and Molecular Biology, Head of department Christer Höög
- Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Head of department Nils-Göran Larsson
- Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Head of department Pontus Aspenström
- Neuroscience, Head of department Gilberto Fisone
- Physiology and Pharmacology, Head of department Håkan Westerblad
Our Biomedicum vision
A catalyst for groundbreaking biomedical science aiming at improving human health.
The vision is based on three pillars
- A center for world class science aiming at solving fundamental biomedical questions and improving human health.
- A platform that facilitates interactions, collaborations, and the sharing of experience, ideas and technology across scientific borders.
- A rich and dynamic scientific environment with a flexible organization and a cost-effective administration.
Goals for Biomedicum
- To perform groundbreaking science leading to fundamental discoveries and to improved human health.
- To be an inspirational global research landmark, a platform for international recruitment of young and senior elite researchers.
- To reinforce and improve clinical translation and interactions both at a national and an international level.
- To be a reference research center for undergraduate, doctoral and postdoctoral education.
- To translate scientific findings into practical applications and innovations and hence contribute to economic growth.
- To strengthen Karolinska Institutet and Sweden as an international leading force in health, medical education and science.
Dialogue a success factor
Biomedicum is being realized through a close dialogue between departmental representatives, the Facilities Office and Akademiska Hus. The participation of the departments is a success factor in terms of creating a functional building that offers the best possible conditions for biomedical research. Surveys to Principal Investigators aimed at identifying general and specific needs have been a fundamental part of the process.
Chronicle & articles
- Interaction benefits research, Chronicle by Christer Höög, head of Department of cell and molecular biology (CMB)
- Biomedicum now shifting from building process to research itself, KI Nyheter, 18 October 2016
- "Biomedicum byggs likt mekano", in Swedish, Hagastaden.se, 16 April 2015
- Nyfiket intresse för KI:s historiska bygge, sid 22, KI Bladet nr 1, 2015
- A goldmine for research, KI Bladet, nr 3, 2014
- Första spadtaget för Biomedicum, in Swedish, KI Nyheter, 25 September 2013
- Architects´ firm selected for Karolinska Institutet´s future laboratory complex, KI Nyheter, 17 May 2011
Current Chair of the Chairmen's team
Chair of the Researchers' team
Meet the architects behind Biomedicum Campus Solna
The building process
Biomedicum - The vision