Information for Chinese applicants for CSC scholarships
Information for potential doctoral students, post-docs and visiting scholars applying for CSC scholarships. You will find information on the process and important dates.
For potential doctoral students
Below you find Information on the process. For the exact timeline, see the call for the relevant year.
From October through March the following year
From October through March the followin year, you should identify a potential KI supervisor according to your research interests from the list of KI hosts published at the KI-CSC website. The list contains hosts’ names, emails, and description of research projects. Only supervisors who did submit a research project descripton before the deadline will be included in the programme. When you find an interesting project, make contact in order to see it there is a match and possibility of working together.
In order to recruit a doctoral student, the KI supervisor must first have obtained a Green Light from the department.
The application for CSC scholarships 2021
Information about the process and timeline at KI will be published Aug./ Sept 2020
The application for CSC scholarship 2020- Call Closed
Due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus, CSC has announced a new deadline for applications:
- The online application period to CSC is 10–30 April
- Submission of application documents and Institution approval before May 12
- The final result will be published late June.
Considering that all the major English tests have been cancelled in March, the applicants don't need to hand in their IELTS, TOEFL scores when applying online if they haven't taken the tests, but once they pass the evaluation and are potentially granted the scholarship, they need to hand in the qualified English test scores, so that they can finally get approved to obtain the scholarship and go abroad.
- If you are currently a CSC scholarship-funded master’s degree student studying abroad and graduating in 2020, you are also eligible for CSC scholarship application for doctoral studies.
- If you are a KI-registered doctoral student originally from mainland China and within the first year of doctoral study registration, you are also eligible for CSC scholarship application, albeit a successful application will be granted a scholarship of 36 months but not 48 months.
Before the end of March
- If a mutual agreement is reached between you and a potential supervisor, the potential supervisor will provide you with the documents needed for your application to CSC.
- A detailed research plan for the research training (usually 2-4 pages).
- A letter of invitation. The invitation letter must be co-signed by the head of department, and the potential supervisor must send a copy of the signed letter of invitation to KI international office for documentation and for KI’s endorsement to CSC. CSC will only consider applicants with invitation letters included in the official KI endorsement list. The letter must be written using the template. The letter is issued preconditioned of a successful application of CSC scholarship, fulfilling the requirements of Karolinska Institutet for entry into the 4-year PhD program as well as a successful application to doctoral studies.
For prospective post-docs and visiting doctoral students and scholars
If you are interested in doing a post-doc, visiting scholar research or visiting doctoral studies at KI:
From October through March the following year
From October through March the following year, you should
identify a potential KI supervisor according to your research interests from, but not limited to, the list of KI hosts published at CSC website. The list contains hosts’ names, emails, and description of research projects.
- When you find an interesting project, make contact in order to see it there is a match and possibility of working together. The potential KI host is, together with you, responsible for the evaluation of feasibility of the postdoc training or visiting research at KI. The prospective supervisor must have obtained an approval of the recruitment from his/her department.
Before the end of March
If mutual agreement is reached, between you and a potential host, the host will provide you with the documents needed for your application to CSC:
- A detailed plan for the research training, usually 2-4 pages,
- A letter of invitation using KI:s template. Importantly, the invitation letter must be co-signed by the head of department and a copy of the letter of invitation must be sent to KI international office for documentation and for KI’s endorsement to CSC. CSC will only consider applicants with invitation letters included in the official KI endorsement list.
- If you are a visiting PhD student who is already are admitted for doctoral studies at a Chinese university, there is no official eligibility assessment.
- If you, as a prospective visiting researcher, is currently employed, it is important that you obtain an approval from your employer for the application for CSC scholarships before setting up an application with a KI host.
- CSC only accepts post-doc scholarship application approved by the Chinese employer of the applicant. Unemployed applicants without an employment will not be considered for a post-doc scholarship application.
Top-up of the CSC scholarship by your host at KI is compulsary for postdocs but not for vising scholars or visiting doctoral students.
English proficiency requirement by CSC
For the applicants for CSC scholarships supporting post-docs, visiting scholars, and visiting doctoral students, it should be noted that CSC requires a qualified English proficiency score of the scholarship awardees. English proficiency tests recognised by CSC include PETS-5 (全国外语水平考试, WSK), TOEFL, and IELTS.
Information on language proficiency requirements for doctoral students at KI
A CSC scholarship application includes two parts,
- an online application
- hardcopy application.
In March, you
- Submit your online application for CSC scholarships at the CSC website, under the category of CSC-KI collaborative project (国家留学基金委与卡罗林斯卡医学院合作项目) including
- the letter of invitation
- a research plan
Upon completing of the online application, you submit the hardcopy application, including all required documents, to your home universities/institutions for institutional endorsement/recommendation.
After going through institutional endorsement procedures, the home universities/institutions will mail the hardcopy applications to CSC. Notably, CSC must receive the complete applications (both online and hardcopy applications) by end of April. Hence, it is highly recommendable that you complete the online application early and proceed to institutional endorsement early.
For prospective doctoral students undertaking master’s degree education in Sweden, you can submit your application through the Education Section of the Chinese Embassy in Stockholm.
For endorsement of applicants by KI, an official list of the applicants is made from the copies of the invitation letters sent to KI International Relations Office. The list of endorsed applicants is sent to CSC. Only applicants that have been endorsed by KI will be considered by CSC.
Selection of candidates, May - June
- CSC organizes independent evaluations of all submitted applications during May to early June.
- CSC informs applicants’ home universities/institutions, as well as KI, of the outcome of the applications in late June 2020. KI International Relations Office informs KI supervisors/hosts of the outcomes of CSC scholarship applications upon receiving the notifications from CSC.
- The KI host and you, together, plan the visiting research at KI.
More information for Chinese citizens to study abroad with a CSC sponsorship can be found at the CSC website.