Information for KI hosts recruiting CSC scholarship-funded post-docs, visiting scholars and visiting doctoral students
As KI host interested in recruiting CSC scholarship-funded post-docs, visiting scholars and visiting doctoral students 2020, you will find information on the process and about important dates.
To attract potential scholarship applicants the potential host first needs to formulate and submit a short research project description with which the applicants can apply for the CSC scholarship. All project descriptions will be compiled into a catalogue, for which the potential recruits will search a project suitable for their interest and background. The potential recruit will contact the KI host for possibilities. Through interviews and possible other interactions, you will choose to invite the most suitable person for the project. If a match is found you need to work out a more detailed research plan with which the potential recruit can apply for a scholarship under the KI-CSC program.
Responsibility as a KI host, recruiting a postdoc, visiting scholar or visiting PhD
As a potential KI host, you should
- provide a research project, with which the Chinese scholar can apply for a CSC scholarship.
- interact with potential CSC scholarship applicants and assess their possibility of future visiting research at KI.
Note for hosting a visiting scholar
From 2019, the CSC scholarship for visiting researchers is SEK 15,000/month and for 3-12 months.
Notes for hosting a post-doc
The CSC only accepts post-doc scholarship applications approved by the employer of the applicant. Thus, the applicant should be employed in China on the date of application submission and have received her or his doctoral degree within 3 years. If you host a post-doc you must top up the CSC scholarship to the minimum level required by KI with either a complementary scholarship or by part-time employment. From 2019, the financial support from CSC for postdoc fellows is SEK 15,000/month and for 6-24 months. Scholarships at KI
Notes for hosting a visiting PhD student
A visiting PhD student cannot be invited for more than 12 months due to changes in the Swedish regulation for visitor’s permit for doctoral exchange and cannot be extended. Top-up of the CSC scholarship for a visiting PhD student is not compulsory.
Important dates - CSC call for scholarship applications in spring 2020
As a potential KI host recruiting CSC supported post-docs, visiting scholars and visiting doctoral students applying for CSC scholarships 2020, you must follow the processes described below.
Due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus, CSC has announced a new deadline for applications:
- The online application period to CSC is 10–30 April
- Submission of application documents and Institution approval before May 12
- The final result will be published late June.
Considering that all the major English tests have been cancelled in March, the applicants don't need to hand in their IELTS, TOEFL scores when applying online if they haven't taken the tests, but once they pass the evaluation and are potentially granted the scholarship, they need to hand in the qualified English test scores, so that they can finally get approved to obtain the scholarship and go abroad.
1. Define your project for advertising. Deadline Oct. 7, 2019
For advertising your project, you submit the project descriptions electronically by using the KI Prisma system. Only hosts who submit a research project description before the deadline will be included in the programme.
Start by setting up personal account in Prisma. We recommend you use “Set up a personal account with Swamid”. The form contains a couple of tabs that you should not care about such as Participants, CV and Publications tabs do not fill in anything.
September 10 - October 7 (2:00 pm): System open for entering project descriptions. You may change, upload new and update your files on the portal before you make your final submission. After October 7 (2:00 pm) it isn’t possible to make changes. When you have logged in, choose "Applications and grants", look for the name of the call "KI-China scholarship council programme", then "apply". Look for "applications" and start your draft.
- Fill in the project description form, 1-2 pages.
The project description should include a project title, description of the research, qualifications of applicant, description of the research group and key words for finding the project in a database.
The following documents need to be uploaded with the project description:
- Approved Green light application (for recruitment of doctoral students)
- Approval from the Head of department for the recruitment of a CSC scholarship recipient (for recruitment of visiting doctoral students, postdocs and/or visiting researchers), see template text below. Ask your Head of department to use the template text” and then to send it to you in a mail. Make the mail into a pdf for uploading.
Department’s support letter for recruitment in the 2020 KI-CSC scholarship program
I hereby approve of the recruitment of a CSC scholarship recipient (please remove irrelevant category: visiting doctoral student, postdoc and/or visiting researcher) by name of host.
(For recruitment of postdocs add the following sentence) Necessary funds will be provided to by the hosting group leader to match the minimum stipend level for postdocs set by Karolinska Institutet.
Email signature of Head of Department
2. Select your candidate. October 2019 through March 2020
The project descriptions will be published at the CSC and KI website prior to the CSC Fairs 2019 in mid-October. KI representatives will participate in the CSC Fair held in Beijing.
From October 2019 to March 2020, prospective scholarship applicants will contact potential KI hosts according to their research interests from, but not limited to, the list of KI hosts published at CSC and KI website(s).
As a potential host:
- conduct interviews with interested applicants (in person or online) to judge the applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
- contact the applicant’s references in order to further evaluate the applicant's scientific competence and language skills.
If you are contacted by a potential visiting doctoral student/postdoc/visiting researcher without having an announced project description, you must
- urgently get approval from the head of your department before taking the discussion further with the potential applicant. Use the template text above and send it to KI International Relations Office, email@example.com
3. Invite your candidate – before the end of March 2020
If you select a potential candidate and a mutual agreement is reached, you need to prepare the following documents:
- a letter of invitation, using the KI template (approved by CSC). No additional sentence about English as working language is needed. The letter should be co-signed by the head of department.
- a detailed research plan for the research training (2-4 pages)
- your signed CV according to specifications from CSC, which your applicant will provide
Send a copy of your letter of invitation to KI International Relations Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for documentation and for KI’s endorsement to CSC. CSC will only consider applicants with invitation letters included in the official KI endorsement list. It should also be noted that it is not advisable for KI supervisors/hosts to issue more letters of invitation than their actual hosting capacities.
Template invitation letters
4. Procedure for applying for CSC scholarships, April 2020
The following information is for you as potential host about the responsibility of the Chinese applicant.
- The applicant submits his/her online application for CSC scholarships at the CSC website under the category of CSC-KI collaborative project (国家留学基金委与卡罗林斯卡医学院合作项目).
- Upon completion of the online application, the applicants submit the hardcopy of their application, including all required documents, to their home universities/institutions for institutional endorsement/recommendation to CSC.
- After going through institutional endorsement procedures, the home universities/institutions will mail the hardcopy applications to CSC. Notably, CSC must receive the complete applications (both online and hardcopy applications) by end of April 2020. Hence, it is highly recommendable that all applicants complete the online application early and proceed to institutional endorsement early.
As mentioned earlier, for endorsement of applicants by KI, an official list of the applicants is made from the copies of the invitation letters sent to KI International Relations Office. The list of endorsed applicants is sent to CSC. Only applicants that have been endorsed by KI will be considered by CSC.
5. Selection of candidates, May - June 2020
CSC will organize independent evaluations of all submitted applications during May to early June 2020. CSC will then inform applicants’ home universities/institutions, as well as KI, of the outcome of the applications in late June 2020.
The KI International Relations Office, Monika Berge, will inform you of the outcome of the CSC scholarship applications upon receiving the notifications from CSC.
As KI hosts you will together with the CSC scholarship awardees plan the visiting research period at KI.
English proficiency requirement by CSC
For the applicants for CSC scholarships supporting post-docs, visiting scholars, and visiting doctoral students, it should be noted that CSC requires a qualified English proficiency score of the scholarship awardees. English proficiency tests recognised by CSC include PETS-5 (全国外语水平考试, WSK), TOEFL, and IELTS.