Information for KI supervisors recruiting Chinese doctoral students applying for a CSC scholarship
As a KI supervisor interested in recruiting Chinese doctoral students applying for CSC scholarships, you will find information on the process and important dates, procedures for admission at KI and entry requirements at KI.
To recruit student for a doctoral education at KI, applying for a CSC scholarship, you need to submit a short research project description, using the link to a registration form, provided below. All research project descriptions are compiled into a list. The Chinese recruits will search a project suitable for their interest and background. Only supervisors who have submitted a research project description before the deadline will be included in the programme. KI-CSC programme does not accept drop-ins after the deadline.
The project descriptions will attract potential recruits who will contact you based on their interests. Through interviews and possible other interactions, you will choose to invite the most suitable person for the project. Next step is to work out a more detailed research plan with which the potential recruit can apply for a scholarship under the KI-CSC program.
Responsibility as KI supervisor
As a potential KI supervisor, you are responsible to:
- provide a project, with which the Chinese scholar can apply for a CSC scholarship.
- interact with potential CSC scholarship applicants and assess their possibility and scientific competence for future research education at KI.
- provide the selected candidate with required documents for CSC scholarship application.
- top up the CSC scholarship, if your candidate is awarded a scholarship by CSC, to the minimum level required by KI, with either a complementary scholarship or by part time employment. The current level of the CSC scholarship is 15 000 SEK/month for doctoral students and is paid directly to the CSC scholarship recipients from the date of arrival in Sweden and for exactly four years.
Before the prospective doctoral student can arrive at KI
The prospective doctoral student must
- apply for and be granted a CSC scholarship,
- apply for eligibility evaluation of doctoral education entry at KI
- apply to be admitted for doctoral studies at KI.
The doctoral student must be admitted to doctoral studies and get his/her student visa before coming to KI. It is no longer allowed to spend a period as a visiting researcher at KI before admittance. However, the potential student can be invited for a short visit to the lab on a visitor’s visa for in depth interview and discussion of the research project.
Call 2021-2022 - call closed
As a potential KI supervisor recruiting CSC supported doctoral students, you must follow the process as described below.
Only supervisors who have submitted a research project description, using the web registration form, before the deadline October 25, 2020 are included in the programme. Registration form is now closed.
1. Define your project for advertising. Deadline October 25, 2020 -Closed
Advertise your research project, by submitting your research project description and defining the qualifications of the person you are recruiting.
Register and submit by using the form Registration research project description for recruiting CSC scholars. In order to make changes and save draft, you must log in to the KI staff portal. Deadline for submission is October 25, 2020. After Oct. 25, 2020, it will not be possible to make changes.
The research project description for recruiting CSC scholars should be 1-2 pages and include a project title, description of the research, qualifications of person to be recruited, description of the research group, as well as key words to facilitate the project searching.
The following documents need to be uploaded with the project description:
- Upload an approved Green light for recruiting a doctoral student with a CSC scholarship, from your department. (This document will not be displayed to the potential applicants.)
- Approval from department head (for visiting PhD only)
The project descriptions will be published at the KI and CSC website. The CSC Fairs 2020 are expected to be digital in November.
2. Select your candidate. November 2020 through February 2021
During the period from November 2020 to March 2020, Chinese applicants will contact you based on your announced research project description and according to their research interests, in pursuit of a doctoral education.
As a potential supervisor, you should:
- Conduct interviews with interested applicants (in person or online) for the evaluation and judgement of applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
- Contact the applicant’s references in order to further evaluate the applicant’s scientific competence and language skills.
3. Invite your candidate – Before March 10, 2021
If a mutual agreement is reached between you and a potential candidate, you should send the following documents to the CSC applicant whom you have chosen:
- a letter of invitation, using the KI template (no additional sentence about the English as working language is needed). The letter should be co-signed by the head of department.
- a detailed research plan for the research training (2-4 pages)
- your signed CV according to specifications from CSC, which your applicant will provide.
It is crucial that the letter of invitation is issued preconditioned of a successful application of CSC scholarship, of fulfilling the entry requirements, as well as a successful assessment by the department leading to an admission decision. It should also be noted that it is not advisable for KI supervisors to issue more letters of invitation than their actual hosting capacities.
It is also compulsory and important to send a copy of your letter of invitation to KI International Relations Office (email@example.com) for documentation and for KI’s endorsement to CSC. CSC will only consider applicants with invitation letters included in the official KI endorsement list.
4. Procedure for applying for CSC scholarships, March 10-31, 2021
The following information is for you as potential supervisor about the responsibility of the Chinese applicant.
- The applicant must submit his/her online application for CSC scholarships at the CSC website under the category of CSC-KI collaborative project (国家留学基金委与卡罗林斯卡医学院合作项目). The applicant should printing the hard copies of the application for home institutions’ evaluation and approval.
- The applicant should have, or provide at the time of CSC scholarship approval, a qualified English proficiency score recognized by CSC and KI.
- Upon completion of the online application, the applicants submit the hardcopy of their application, including all required documents, to their home universities/institutions for institutional endorsement/recommendation to CSC.
- After going through institutional endorsement procedures, the home universities/institutions will mail the hardcopy applications to CSC. Notably, CSC must receive the complete applications (both online and hardcopy applications) by the end of April 2021. Hence, it is highly recommendable that all applicants complete the online application early and proceed to institutional endorsement as early as possible.
If your Chinese applicant is currently in a master’s degree programme in Sweden, he or she can submit the application through Education Section of the Chinese Embassy in Stockholm.
As mentioned earlier, for endorsement of applicants by KI, an official list of the applicants is made from the copies of the invitation letters sent to KI International Relations Office. The list of endorsed applicants is sent to CSC. Only applicants that have been endorsed by KI will be considered by CSC.
- April 1-12, 2021 applicants' home universities/institutions evaluate and approve the applicants’ qualification. Hard copies (or via fax) of the home institution approvals arrive at CSC office before April 12, 2021. Hence, it is highly recommended that the applicants submit online application as soon as possible, and then submit their application to home institutions.
5. Selection of candidates by CSC, April 13-May 31, 2021
CSC organizes independent evaluations of all submitted applications during April and May. CSC will inform applicants’ home universities/institutions, as well as KI, of the outcome of the applications at end of May.
June, 2021 CSC informs home institutions of the applicants. Monika Berge at the KI International Relations Office, will inform you the outcome of the CSC scholarship applications upon receiving the notifications from CSC.
As your candidate has been selected you should proceed in planning the doctoral education together with the CSC scholarship awardee. Monika Berge will send you a letter with more information on how to proceed.
July, 2021 Applicants can initiate the procedures for CSC scholarship-funded training abroad.
Admission, general and specific entry requirements at KI for doctoral education
You can find the entry requirements for doctoral education at KI here: https://education.ki.se/entry-requirements-eligibility-for-doctoral-education
Specific eligibility (English language requirements)
All prospective doctoral students must show proficiency in English. For information on how to certify English language proficiency (through tests or university level studies), please see English language requirements for doctoral education.
To be admitted to KI, the potential doctoral student must:
- apply for assessment of eligibility at KI, as soon as possible after receiving notice of an awarded scholarship.
- apply for admittance to doctoral studies at KI,
- once eligibility is established, following the instructions for Admission procedure in the case of exemption from the announcement requirement
- apply for a student visa, after being admitted at KI.
Before starting at KI, the student may be invited for a short visit to the lab on a visitor’s visa. The student shall then apply for admission to doctoral studies from China. Once admitted, the student can apply for a student visa. The students may not start their doctoral studies at KI before the head of department has decided on admission to doctoral education and the student has received a student visa.