International exchange for teachers and other employees

Take the opportunity to participate in an international exchange. Want to teach in Kenya or do a work exchange in France? Challenge your teaching skills in the UK or India? Get new perspectives on your work from an international colleague - the possibilities are endless.

If you are employed at KI, or employed elsewhere but involved in teaching KI students, you are eligible to apply for funding for teaching or training abroad. KI cooperates with and has agreements with a large number of higher education institutions around the world.

Teacher exchange - just go!

What exchange programmes are there at KI?

  • Erasmus+ - cooperation in Europe
  • Erasmus Mundus - Europe/third country
  • Linnaeus-Palme - cooperation with higher education institutions in countries outside the OECD
  • Nordplus - cooperation with higher education institutions in the Nordic countries

Partner universities

Karolinska institutet has agreements on undergraduate and gradute level with these universites. Agreements are updated regulary. (List of agreements for 2022-2023)

How do I go about it?

Administrative staff - read more here

  1. Contact the international committee for your study programme to discuss teaching possibilities. When it comes to Erasmus agreements for teacher exchange, they can be signed on department level as well. In that case, contact Kristina Jesinkey.
  2. Contact the administrator for the exchange programme you are interested in (Erasmus+/Linnaeus-Palme etc.)
  3. Get the exchange approved by the head of department or your most immediate supervisor
  4. Contact the higher education institutions you wish to visit to plan your stay.
  5. Read about the exchange programme in question
  6. Upon arrival home, file a travel expense report at your department
  7. Write a travel report

Common for all exchange programmes is that you will receive a stipend up to a certain amount for your exchange. Your department is expected to cover costs exceeding the stipend you receive as well as your salary.


You are always responsible for making the arrangements for your trip, such as contacting the partner institution or organisation, booking tickets and accommodation, and planning the stay. Do not forget to check if you need a visa.
You will be covered by Kammarkollegiet's travel insurance when away, see more at:

Even if you are not a KI employee, you will be covered by the benefits when travelling on behalf of KI.

Kristina Jesinkey

Erasmus institutional coordinator
Content reviewer: