Learning Activities within the doctoral programme (PUF-V)
The doctoral programme in health care science offers a variety of educational activities, such as seminars, seminar series, workshops, academic debates and lectures.
The overall aim and purpose of the programme can be summarized in the aspiration of generating a creative, stimulating, interactive and excellent environment for doctoral studies that gives room for the individual’s reflections and initiatives, firstly for doctoral students at Karolinska Institutet wanting knowledge in health care science.
If nothing else is stated, priority is given to registered PhD students. If space allows, other applicants may also be accepted.
Activities - Spring 2022
- Kappa seminar for doctoral students in Health Care Science, April 28 (Swedish)
- 6th Summer School of the Baltic Sea Region Network, June 13-15
- Health Economic Seminar with Zürich university, March, 24-25
- Delegation from Zürich University April 21-22
Activities – Autumn 2021
- Workshop - How to make your teaching more participatory or interactive, November 24, 2021
- Workshop: Questionnaire Design – October 5 and 14
- Introduction day for supervisors and PhD-students – October 7
- Kappa seminar for doctoral students in Health Care Science - October 18 at 13-14.30 on-line, zoom link will be sent
- Virtual Journal Club September 20, 27 and October 4, 11 and 18
Activities - Spring 2021
- Health Economics seminar - 17th & 18th March 2021
- Kappa seminar for doctoral students in Health Care Science - 19th April 2021, 13:00-14:30.
- Virtual Journal Club - Details will be made available under the Spring.
- 5th Summer School of the Baltic Sea Region Network, in collaboration with the Baltic Sea Region Network in Personalized Health Care - 14-16th June, online. Registrations open until 28th February.
Activities - Autumn 2020
- Seminar: Att skriva en bra kappa – 7 Sept
- Workshop: Applied survey methodology - from design to analysis (29 Sept and 6 Oct)
- Workshop: From eﬃciency to eﬀectiveness (academic efficiency) – (12 Oct)
- Doctoral students and supervisors days – in collaboration with the Doctoral School in Health Care Sciences (FiV) –(27–28 Oct)
- Workshop: Virtual Journal Club (2–30 Nov)
- Conference: “Advances in Health Care Sciences” – online (11–12 Nov)
- Seminar: Research Ethics in Practice (20 Nov)
About the activities
The programme organizes seminars with purpose to diffuse information and knowledge. The programme considers the seminars as a very good forum for questions and discussions regarding a chosen theme.
The purpose of the seminar series activity within the programme is to offer the possibility to advanced subject studies within specific topics, beside the subject immersions that the research project itself entail. The programme aims to encourage the doctoral student to initiate seminar series on the basis of certain needs by contributing administrative advice and announcements of means to e.g. defray the participation of senior researchers and postdocs as seminar leaders in a current topic.
In a workshop we attach more importance to problem-solving, than in a seminar. The PhD students are given the possibility to train skills through a larger content of ”hands on” activities, which are depending on their level of involvement and active participation.
Open lectures & academic debates
The programme aims to facilitate and to support the development of critical thinking in the PhD student, as well as of their own reflection and standpoint, from a larger perspective than their research group/department by creating a forum for academic debates around important issues.
All activities are most often evaluated by the participants afterwards. This is done to enable improvements and take into account the participants views and opinions.
Registration and participation
You can apply to the different activities by emailing email@example.com
Confirmation and additional information about the activity/event is emailed to the participants.
Doctoral students and postdocs registered at Karolinska Institutet are prioritized in the activities. If seats are available, doctoral students and postdocs from other universities and/or other university staff are invited to participate.
Students active participation is essential for the quality and content of the different activities. Hence, by confirming your registration you are expected to participate throughout the activity.
The different activities are evaluated through a web-based survey. It is of importance to the doctoral programme to provide activities of high quality and to continuously improve the content.
Are you interested in applying for funds to help finance a learning activity on doctoral level within doctoral programme in health care science? Please see the information available here.
Arranging workshops or seminars related to the learning outcomes of doctoral education
During 2020 the Course and Programme Committee welcomes applications for funding regarding learning activities related to the learning outcomes of doctoral education. These can be arranged as workshops or seminars and need to be on a useful theme for many doctoral students and postdocs, that isn’t covered by our regular doctoral courses or programme activities. The purpose of the activities should be related tothe learning outcomes of doctoral education, especially the ones that concern research integrity and interaction with society (number 6, 8, 9 and 10). It could for example be on a theme related to philosophy of science and medicine, ethics, artificial intelligence or visualisation techniques.