Your pension consists of several parts. You can take out occupational pension from the age of 61 (age of 63 in 2024) and public pension from the age of 63. You must apply yourself and decide how and when you want to take out your pension.

Check how much is paid in to your pension plan - every month

How to apply for the defined benefit retirement pension:

  • Contact SPV, at least 4 months before you want to retire, to have your pension documents sent home
  • Complete the termination form and e-sign it together with the Head of Administration or equivalent
  • Complete and sign the form Godkänn dina anställningsuppgifter
  • Complete the pension application
  • Send the pension documents to or attach them to the termination form in the PA-web

In order to receive your occupational pension, you must have terminated your employment

It is only possible to apply for occupational pension with a start date from the first day of the month after you have ended your employment


The retirement age for government employees is 65 years. It is reached at the end of the calendar month before the month in which the employee reaches the age of 65. The age limit that applies for the right to remain employed is currently 68 years; on 1 January 2023 it will be changed to 69 years. Six to eight months before the employee turns 65, a pension letter is sent to her/his home address. The employee must then notify her/his manager of when she/he plans to retire.

Further information can be found on the website of the Swedish Pensions Agency.

At you can get a personal forecast of your total pension.

Occupational pension for government employees


The National Occupational Pensions Agency (SPV) is in charge of KI's occupational pension. They can answer questions about occupational pensions, provide guidance before retirement and help you with your application.

Telephone: 020-51 50 40

If you do not contact SPV yourself, they will send application documents, regarding the defined benefit occupational pension, to your home six months before you turn 65 years old.

You apply yourself for your occupational pension part, Kåpan Tjänste, with Kåpan Pensions and for the optional part (Kåpan Valbar) with the insurer you have chosen.

National public pension

The national public pension consists of income, premium and guarantee pensions. Throughout your life, you earn money towards your national public pension – when you work, study, carry out military service or have young children.

Further information about the pension system can be found at the Swedish Pensions Agency, which also sends out the orange envelope every year with information about your national public pension.

Partial pension

Partial pensions are intended for employees born before 1988 (born before 1966 in 2024) and who are covered by PA 16 Section II.

The purpose of the partial pension agreement is to enable the employer, under the terms of the agreement, to give older employees better opportunities to continue to work up to the normal retirement age. Fewer early retirements among other things make it easier to transfer competence in conjunction with a generational shift.

As in all other operational decisions, in decisions on partial retirement the employer’s primary consideration has to be the needs of the organisation and its financial prerequisites. In making a decision on partial retirement, account has to be taken of the prerequisites of the organisation, including both financial scope and the employee’s situation. The partial pension agreement assumes that decisions on partial pensions are made following an individual assessment.

The agreement on partial pensions for government employees, Circular 2003: A 4, 2003-11-12, and comments on the partial pension agreement can be found on the website of the Swedish Agency for Government Employers,

The conditions for partial pension can be found in The Rules for Partial Pension at KI.

Disability pension

If you become ill and receive a sickness benefit or activity compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency, you may be entitled to a disability pension through PA 16. The amount of the disability pension depends on your pension basis and the scope of your sickness benefit. It doesn’t matter how long you have been working.

If you have left your position and are ill, you may be entitled to a disability pension, as a post-cover is included in PA 16.

Survivor’s pension and life insurance

SPV administers occupational group life insurance and survivor’s pensions.

Group life insurance (TGL-S)

The insurance provides financial protection for the insured individual’s spouse, registered partner, cohabitant and children. If the insured individual’s spouse, registered partner or cohabitant dies and does not have her or his own occupational group life insurance, the insurance also provides a certain amount of coverage for the insured individual.

Benefits that can be provided under TGL-S include:

  • Funeral assistance
  • Basic amount
  • Child amount

Survivor’s pension

If the beneficiary dies, her/his spouse, registered partner, cohabitant and children under the age of 20 may, under certain conditions, have the right to a survivor’s pension (family pension).

The compensation is paid out on as a monthly amount on a fixed-term or life-long basis.

Content reviewer: