Your pension consists of several parts. You can take out occupational pension and public pension from the age of 63. You must apply yourself and decide how and when you want to take out your pension.

Check how much is paid in to your pension plan - every month

How to apply for the defined benefit retirement pension:

Contact SPV, at least 4 months before you want to retire, to have your pension documents (Ansökan om tjänstepension and Godkänn dina anställningsuppgifter) sent to your home

  • Complete and sign the pension application and the form Godkänn dina anställningsuppgifter
  • Fill in the termination form in the PA-web and attach Ansökan om tjänstepension and Godkänn dina anställningsuppgifter (these are then signed by the Payroll Unit)
  • Send the termination form with attachments in the PA-web

In order to apply for occupational pension, you must have terminated your employment or have reached the age of 69

It is only possible to apply for occupational pension with a start date from the first day of the month after you have ended your employment

If you have turned 69, you can apply for the occupational pension yourself


The retirement age for government employees is 65 years. It is reached at the end of the calendar month preceding the month in which the employee turns 65. The age of eligibility for continued employment is 69 years. If you wish to retire, you must inform your manager of the date of retirement. You apply for the national public pension on the website of the Swedish Pensions Agency. There you can also find more information about the national public pension.

At you can get a personal forecast of your total pension.

Occupational pension for government employees

The National Government Employee Pensions Board (in Swedish: Statens Tjänstepensionsverk, shortened to SPV) is in charge of KI's occupational pension. They can answer questions about occupational pensions, provide guidance before retirement and help you with your application.

Telephone: 020-51 50 40

If you do not contact SPV yourself, they will send application documents (regarding the defined benefit retirement pension) to your home six months before you turn 69 years old.

You apply yourself for your occupational pension part (Kåpan Tjänste) with Kåpan Tjänstepension and for the selectable part (Kåpan Valbar) with the insurer you have chosen.

Information on occupational pensions

All government employees have the occupational pension agreement PA 16, which contains two sections:

Avdelning I applies to those born in 1988 and later and consists only of a defined contribution pension:
Avdelning II applies to those born in 1987 and earlier and consists of a defined contribution pension and a defined benefit retirement pension:
Defined-contribution pension means that the employer regularly contributes a certain percentage of your salary to the occupational pension. You earn this part until the age of 69 from 2024 (previously it was until 65).

Defined benefit retirement pension is earned up to the age of 65 and is calculated according to three factors:

  • the year you were born
  • how long you have worked for the state, and
  • your salary in the last five years before the year you turn 65 (if you retire before 65, your salary in the last five years before the year you retire is used).

You will find more information about the state occupational pension at SPV:

National public pension

The national public pension consists of income, premium and guarantee pensions. Throughout your life, you earn money towards your national public pension – when you work, study, carry out military service or have young children.

Further information about the pension system can be found at the Swedish Pensions Agency, which also sends out the orange envelope every year with information about your national public pension.

Partial pension

Partial pensions are intended for employees born before 19966 and who are covered by PA 16 Section II.

The purpose of the partial pension agreement is to enable the employer, under the terms of the agreement, to give older employees better opportunities to continue to work up to the normal retirement age. Fewer early retirements among other things make it easier to transfer competence in conjunction with a generational shift.

As in all other operational decisions, in decisions on partial retirement the employer’s primary consideration has to be the needs of the organisation and its financial prerequisites. In making a decision on partial retirement, account has to be taken of the prerequisites of the organisation, including both financial scope and the employee’s situation. The partial pension agreement assumes that decisions on partial pensions are made following an individual assessment.

The agreement on partial pensions for government employees, Circular 2003: A 4, 2003-11-12, and comments on the partial pension agreement can be found on the website of the Swedish Agency for Government Employers,

The conditions for partial pension can be found in The Rules for Partial Pension at KI.

Disability pension

If you become ill and receive a sickness benefit or activity compensation from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency, you may be entitled to a disability pension through PA 16. The amount of the disability pension depends on your pension basis and the scope of your sickness benefit. It doesn’t matter how long you have been working.

If you have left your position and are ill, you may be entitled to a disability pension, as a post-cover is included in PA 16.

Survivor’s pension and life insurance

SPV administers occupational group life insurance and survivor’s pensions.

Group life insurance (TGL-S)

The insurance provides financial protection for the insured individual’s spouse, registered partner, cohabitant and children. If the insured individual’s spouse, registered partner or cohabitant dies and does not have her or his own occupational group life insurance, the insurance also provides a certain amount of coverage for the insured individual.

Benefits that can be provided under TGL-S include:

  • Funeral assistance
  • Basic amount
  • Child amount

Survivor’s pension

If the beneficiary dies, her/his spouse, registered partner, cohabitant and children under the age of 20 may, under certain conditions, have the right to a survivor’s pension (family pension).

The compensation is paid out on as a monthly amount on a fixed-term or life-long basis.

Content reviewer: