Position as Senior Researcher
The Faculty Board has decided to announce up to eight positions as Senior Researcher in Medical science (Medicine, Health care and Health). The positions imply extensions of existing assistant professorships.
The application period has been extended until May 21, 2020. Please note that the extended deadline only applies to applications for employment as Senior Researcher, and not Assistant professor or Consolidator grant.
Preliminary schedule 2020
Application period: March 25 - May 21
Eligibility: May - June
External review: June - August
What does the funding entail?
The host department will be assigned a framework amount of SEK 1,000,000 per appointment per year for a maximum of two years. The funds are intended to finance positions and are to be used for salary and salary related costs in connection to the position.
The position as senior researcher is to be appointed on a permanent basis. Funding will be made available on condition that the term of employment commences at one of KI’s departments not more than twelve months after the assistant professorship has expired. The employment is to be agreed with the recipient department, which is responsible for the salary.
For more information about the conditions regarding payment of funding, please check the links below.
The applicant should conduct high quality and independent research, with his/her own established research line.
Applicants must, at the time of application, hold an Assistant Professorship (Forskarassistent, defined by the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance as Career development positions) on a four-year (total) contract that expires between January 1st and December 31st, 2021. Applicants may give special grounds to claim deductible time.
Special grounds refer to:
- parental leave,
- positions of trust in trade union organizations,
- mandatory service in the total defense forces,
- long-term illness,
- general medical internship (maximum 24 months) or
- specialist medical internship for clinically active professionals (maximum 24 months).
Ground, dates and extent must be clearly specified in the application and verified with relevant documentation.
Scientific expertise will be most important when assessing the applicants. The applicant should be well published in internationally leading journals in his/her field in recent years and occupy a prominent place in the list of authors, preferably as first and senior author. The applicant should have obtained, preferably as the principal applicant, good external financing in recent years, and must have the capability to obtain additional financing.
Applicants will be assessed on their scientific expertise mainly based on two assessment criteria; the Applicant’s competence and the Scientific quality of the project.
- Publications. What is the quality of the applicant’s previous publications and other scientific achievements in relation to the phase he/she is in in his/her career?
- Academic studies and research merits. Does the applicant have adequate experience of research, competence and a scientific network and degree of independence enough for implementing the proposed project?
- Funding. Has competitive funding been obtained?
- Distinctions. Are there awards and invitations that indicate national/international recognition?
Scientific quality of project
- Innovativeness/originality. Are there any particularly ambitious or unconventional aspects to the proposal (including multi- or interdisciplinary)? Will it open up new perspectives and opportunities for science?
- Goals. Does the project have clear and groundbreaking goals in relation to the latest scientific knowledge and techniques in the field?
- Relevance and potential. In what ways is the proposed project important to the field? What impact will it have if successful?
- Feasibility. Is the proposed project feasible? Is the proper expertise, group members and established partnerships available and in place? If relevant, are proposed research methods, infrastructure, equipment and field work appropriate and available? Are the explanation and justification of the chosen method described in a relevant way and in relation to the scientific questions asked?
- Methodology. Does the project include the use of new techniques/methods or the innovative application of existing methods/techniques in new fields?
Applications will be assessed in two stages:
1. Eligibility review
2. Review of external experts
The review applies two assessment criteria; the Applicant’s competence and the Scientific quality of the project and will be judged on a seven-point scale.
The Faculty Board decides which applicants are to be awarded a position as Senior researcher based on the external review.
Applications are to be submitted no later than May 21, 2020, via the Varbi recruitment system. (extended deadline)
The application shall comprise the following documents:
- A personal letter
- Application document
- The employment contract regarding position as Assistant professor (forskarassistent)
- Attestation from the head of the host department at Karolinska Institutet that the applicant may conduct research at the department with a permanent position in case the applicant is awarded with funding through this call (e-mail message will be accepted).
Relevant certificates in case deductible time is stated in the application.