Positions as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher
The Faculty Board has decided to announce up to four positions as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher in Medical science including Medicine, Health care and Health during 2022. The positions imply extensions of existing assistant professorships in the form of permanent employment as Senior Research Specialist or Principal Researcher with two years' funding.
Preliminary schedule 2022
Application period: March 23 - April 28
Eligibility: May - June
External review: June - August
Please note that it is allowed to apply for both the positions as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher and the Consolidator grant for if you fulfill the eligibility criteria for both parts of the program. If an applicant should be awarded in both calls, the applicant will have to choose which one to accept.
What does the funding entail?
The position as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher is to be appointed on a permanent basis. Funding will be made available on condition that the term of employment commences at one of KI’s departments not more than twelve months after the assistant professorship has expired. The employment is to be agreed with the recipient department, which is responsible for the salary.
The host department will be assigned a framework amount of SEK 1,000,000 per appointment per year for a maximum of two years. The funds are intended to finance positions and are to be used for salary and salary related costs in connection to the position.
For more detailed information about the conditions regarding payment of funding, please check the links below.
The applicant should conduct high quality and independent research, with his/her own established research line.
The applicant should be well published in internationally leading journals in his/her field in recent years and occupy a prominent place in the list of authors, preferably as first and senior author. The applicant should have obtained, preferably as the principal applicant, good external financing in recent years, and must have the capability to obtain additional financing.
Applicants must, at the time of application, hold an Assistant Professorship (Forskarassistent, defined by the Swedish Higher Education Ordinance as Career development positions) that expires January 1st, 2023 or later.
Scientific expertise will be most important when assessing the applicants.
Applicants will be assessed on their scientific expertise mainly based on two assessment criteria; the Applicant’s competence and the Scientific quality of the project.
- Publications. What is the quality of the applicant’s previous publications and other scientific achievements in relation to the phase he/she is in in his/her career?
- Academic studies and research merits. Does the applicant have adequate experience of research, competence and a scientific network and degree of independence enough for implementing the proposed project?
- Funding. Has competitive funding been obtained?
- Distinctions. Are there awards and invitations that indicate national/international recognition?
Scientific quality of project
- Innovativeness/originality. Are there any particularly ambitious or unconventional aspects to the proposal (including multi- or interdisciplinary)? Will it open up new perspectives and opportunities for science?
- Goals. Does the project have clear and groundbreaking goals in relation to the latest scientific knowledge and techniques in the field?
- Relevance and potential. In what ways is the proposed project important to the field? What impact will it have if successful?
- Feasibility. Is the proposed project feasible? Is the proper expertise, group members and established partnerships available and in place? If relevant, are proposed research methods, infrastructure, equipment and field work appropriate and available? Are the explanation and justification of the chosen method described in a relevant way and in relation to the scientific questions asked?
- Methodology. Does the project include the use of new techniques/methods or the innovative application of existing methods/techniques in new fields?
The Recruitment committee at Karolinska Institutet has been assigned the responsibility for preparing the announcement of the positions as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher and conduct the assessment process.
The applications will be assessed by researchers with expertise in a variety of fields in Medical science. The group of external reviewers are composed of researchers with expertise within different areas.
Applications will be assessed in two stages:
1. Eligibility review
2. Review of external experts
The review applies two assessment criteria; the Applicant’s competence and the Scientific quality of the project and will be judged on a seven-point scale.
The Committée for research decides which applicants are to be awarded a position as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher based on the external review. Decision regarding title will be made by the Head of department based on the applicant´s merits.
Applicants rewarded with a position are expected to negotiate the employment conditions with the department. The employment as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher is to commence not more than twelve months after the decision has been made. The employment is to be agreed with the employing department, which is responsible for the salary and makes the final decision regarding employment.
Applications are to be submitted no later than April 28, 2022, via the Varbi recruitment system.
The application shall comprise the following documents:
- A personal letter
- Application form
- The employment contract regarding position as Assistant professor (forskarassistent)
- Attestation from the head of the host department at Karolinska Institutet that the applicant may conduct research at the department with a permanent position as Senior Research Specialist/Principal Researcher in case the applicant is awarded with funding through this call (e-mail message will be accepted).
Applicants affiliated to Karolinska Institutet can create a list of publications from the KI Bibliometric Verification Toolkit. Visit Instructions for creation of a publication list for internal applicants for more information.
In the Application form, please present your publications with your name in bold text and indicate your shared authorships with a star (*). Authorship order should be same as in the published version.
In case you have any questions, please contact us.