Safety representatives at KI
Being elected safety representative is one of the most important statements of confidence you can have from your colleagues. The tasks of the safety representative are to monitor protection against illness and accidents at work, and to ensure that the employer is in compliance with the Swedish Work Environment Act’s requirements for systematic work environment measures.
Elect and announce a safety representative
The elected safety representative shall be a person with insight into and an interest in the work environment. The employees at the workplace elect their safety representative, i.e. who is to represent them on issues involving the work environment. Subsequently, the trade unions (ST (OFR), SACO and Seko) formally appoint the safety representative. If the employees have elected a local safety representative who does not belong to a trade union it is SACO that formally appoint the safety representative.
The announcement of the safety representative shall be made on a specific form submitted to the main safety representative, who administers the form and notifies the employer (KI). Please note that the person elected cannot legally act in the role of safety representative until the employer has registered the safety representative. In order to make this clear, the main safety representative sends a written confirmation to the safety representative when he/she has been elected and registered by the employer.
Routines for electing and appointing safety representatives
- Safety representatives are elected by the employees at the workplace and then appointed formally by the employee organizations at the workplace.
- As a rule, the election of safety representatives is performed via an open or closed ballot.
- Within KI the local safety representative or other initiator, e.g. the work environment group at the department, bring the personnel at the workplace (safety area) together and elect a safety representative.
- A safety area can include everything from one or several departments/equivalent to a specific working group or a geographical area such as a corridor or floor of a building.
- The safety representative represents all employees within the safety area (regardless if they are a member of a union or not).
- The safety representative shall be thoroughly familiar with the work being performed in their safety area, and have insight into and an interest in work environment matters.
- Information about the safety representative election shall be sent to all concerned at the workplace well in advance of the election. The election process during the current mandate period follows the same routine.
Mandate period is three years and applies uniformly throughout KI. Employees who have been appointed as safety representative can enter or leave their post at any time during the current mandate period. The main safety representative shall inform the workplace when the mandate period is drawing to a close and when it is time to elect a new safety representative.
Registration of safety representatives
The KI-specific application form shall always be used and sent to the main safety representative who documents it and notifies KI's central Human Resources Office. When the safety representative has been registered by the employer (KI), the main safety representative sends a written confirmation to the safety representative. The safety representative does not have the right to act in the role in accordance with the Swedish Work Environment Act until he or she is definitely registered by the employer. Please note that at local level, the safety representative notifies his/her immediate superior. Remember also to inform and put up notices about the safety organization. There is a template to use for this.
Election of main safety representatives
The main safety representatives are elected by the safety representatives for the same mandate period as the other local safety representatives.
Within KI there are, for the time being, two main safety representative's safety areas:
- KI units at Torsplan and at the hospitals (BioClinicum, Solna, Flemingsberg, SÖS, DS and St. Erik Eye Hospital),NEO, ANA Futura, Novum on Campus Flemingsberg
- Campus Solna and Scilifelab. Campus Flemingsberg: NVS (ANA23), KIB, IT and KI Health promotion
For further information, please contact the main safety representatives.
Main safety representative
When there are several safety representatives at a workplace, one of them shall be elected main safety representative. The tasks of this person are to coordinate the activities of the safety representatives and to represent the safety representatives in certain issues. The main safety representative has activities that comprise the entire workplace and shall, for example, work with issues involving more than one safety area.
Campus Solna and Scilifelab. Campus Flemingsberg: NVS (ANA23), KIB, IT and KI Health promotion
KI units at Torsplan and at the hospitals (BioClinicum, Solna, Flemingsberg, SÖS, DS and St. Erik Eye Hospital). NEO, ANA Futura, Novum on Campus Flemingsberg
Safety representative for students
The students are also entitled to elect persons to represent them on issues involving the work environment: the student safety representative and the doctoral student ombudsman. The Medical Students' Union and the Student union of Odontology elects two representatives to represent the students on the Work Environment Committee. For more information, please contact the Medical Students’ Union or the Student union of Odontology.
Information on current safety representatives at KI is kept by Moa Borg (Central Administration) or by the main safety representative.
Basic training for safety representatives
The training "Basic Work Environment Work" (2.5 days) is conducted once per semester. It is aimed at new safety representatives, Work environment groups, HR co-workers and others who are interested and work with work environment issues at KI.
From the content:
- Work environment regulations
- Deep diving” in SWEM (Systematic Work Environment Management)
- Who is responsible for what when it comes to work environment?
- The role and powers of safety representatives
- Collaboration for a good work environment
- Organizational and social work environment
- Health promotion at KI (get inspired!)
Arbetsmiljöforum and Prevent are two organizations that offer external training in the work environment area. Safety representatives can also participate in training provided by the trade union organization to which they belong. Safety representatives in Sweden also have their own website which is administered by the magazine Du&jobbet.