The CFM project and iLab
The CFM (Core Facility Management) project was a project for improving the management of core facilities and implementing the core facility management system iLab at KI. The first core facilities started using iLab during spring 2020 and the project ended in October 2022.
Main project objectives
- Increased transparency
- Simplified processes for booking and invoicing
- Increased efficiency by achieving a higher usage level and less administration
- Enabled structure and steering
Project scope and deliveries
- Created a common CFM and invoicing process
- Defined the business model for each core facility. This was done by defining the product and service portfolio, pricing model and follow up/reporting.
- Implemented iLab for 55 core facilities
- Created connections between ki.se and iLab
- Integrated towards SWAMID for identity management and UBW for financial data and project information
- Established a maintenance organisation
The core facilities were earlier using different processes for bookings of instruments, request for services and invoicing. By using iLab, a common way of working has been achieved for the core facilities. Reports are also available in order to follow up the usage of the core facilities.
To simplify the login procedure, iLab was connected to the identity management system used by KI. If you have a KIID, you are able to log in using your regular credentials. External users need to create an iLab account in order to book instruments and request services from the core facilities.
The integration between iLab and UBW (ERP system) makes it possible to generate invoices in iLab and send them for automatic handling in UBW, both for internal booking using project numbers and invoicing for external customers.
If you are a PI (Principal Investigator), you can manage your research group within iLab and give your team members access to the projects/funds you are managing. You and your team members will then be able to create bookings and request services using the projects/funds in iLab.
The rollout was done in different waves (phases) over a period of around two years. Each wave included multiple core facilities. The first core facilities started using iLab during summer 2020 and the project ended in October 2022.
The rollout schedule was decided based on the needs of the core facilities and their complexity. During the implementation of each core facility, the core facility staff were involved in the configuration and setup together with the project team and the supplier Agilent.
You can find iLab manuals in the document section and training videos in the links section. There is also useful information in the help pages for iLab. If you want more information about CFM/iLab, e-mail email@example.com.