Useful links and KI resources

Here we have tried to collect links to websites both within and outside of the KI website about everything related to postdoc life.

Find more information on everything related to moving to Sweden and being a postdoc at KI on the KIPA website. Completely revised in the spring of 2020.

Training courses for postdocs

The KI Postdoc Association organizes seminar series and workshops for KI postdocs. Postdocs are also welcome to attend PhD courses at KI, even though priority is given to KI PhD students. The course fees for KI postdocs are covered by the Board of Research and KI Postdoc Association sponsors.

For more information visit our events page and the KI doctoral courses pages.

Sources of Information at KI

KI Career Service

The KI Career Service provides advice for career development and career skills workshops (see the website below). Please note that some of the courses available to graduate students are also open to Postdocs. Also please see the website to download a copy of the KI Postdoc handbook, with useful information on your working conditions.

KI Grants Office

KI Grants Office exists to give advice and guidance in the completion of grant applications, both from external sources and internally available funds. Workshops are available to give tips as to how to write a successful grant proposal, tailored to specific funding sources, e.g. Marie Curie scholarships.

Once a grant has been procured the grants office will also manage and liase with the funding body during its implementation. There is a database of potential grant sources on the website in the ‘links’ section.

Junior Faculty

Junior Faculty is a network of researchers with a PhD but not yet a permanent academic position. Their aim is to offer a discussion forum to promote career development for their target group, including postdocs, research assistants, senior researchers, and researchers with a short-term employment.


KI has rules about authorships, that closely follow the Vancouver Protocol. If you have a problem regarding authorship and you and your co-authors cannot come to an agreement, you need to contact the Head of your department. If the Head of your department cannot find a solution, he/she will forward the problem to the Rector. If the rector cannot find a solution, the case will be forwarded to a committee working on Scientific Ethics.

Individual career development plan

Mentoring is very important during your postdoc training year and it might help your individual career development plan. Science has created a website on which you can create your individual development plan. KI does not provide a formal mentoring program for postdoc fellows, but you can informally look for your mentor.


Coming as a foreigner to Stockholm, it can be extremely hard to navigate the housing market.

For different options to find an apartment, see the KI's International Staff website. In particular, have a look at their Accomodation page for support and to find out about some current advertised apartments for rent.

The KIPA website also provides more extensive information on accommodation. 


In Sweden it is essential to have a so-called 'personnummer', which is a social security number. One has to apply in person at the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket).

We have summarized all details on what is needed when requesting a personnummer on the KIPA website.

Health Insurance

Make sure your health insurance is still valid when you get here. It is necessary when applying for a personnummer. If you are an EEA citizen and European health insurance card from home country is valid. If you have problems with getting a health insurance in/from your home country, it is possible to get a health insurance especially for expats at a private Swiss company. It costs around 300 euros for a year, which might help you to get a personnummer at skatteverket/tax office. This page also contains information about försäkringskassan (Swedish social security system), emergency and dental care.

If you are not an EU citizen, you need to get a residence permit for visiting researcher before coming to Sweden. Importantly, your working permit needs to be valid for at least one year, when you go to skatteverket to apply for a personnummer. Register with immigration within the first three months of arrival, if you are planning to stay for longer than 3 months, to receive right of residence (if you are from within the EU); you will need a copy of your passport or national ID and a certificate of employment when applying. You can apply online.

Social security (försäkringskassan)

Försäkringskassan’s role is to administer social insurance and to ensure that you get the benefits and allowances you are entitled to. The Swedish social insurance covers everyone that lives or works in Sweden. It provides finan­cial protection for families and children, for persons with a disability and in connection with work injury, illness and old age.

Through the Swedish membership in the European Union, you may also be eligible for social insurance benefits in other EU member states if you or anyone in your family resides or works in any other EU member states.

As soon as you get here, you should sign up with Försäkringskassan to get insured.


Trade Unions are an integral part of Swedish life. Around 70% of the population belongs to a union, this makes Sweden one of the most unionised countries in the world.

The unions represent workers and help negotiate working conditions for their members. Due to the strength of the unions in Sweden, Swedish workers enjoy some of the most generous benefits in the world in terms of holiday allowance, healthcare and employment protection.

Being a member of a union will help ensure that you have fair salary and working conditions and can also provide other benefits such as discounts on health and home insurance. In Sweden, there are Trade Unions for Academia:

  • SULF: Swedish Association of University Teachers. It specifically represents professionals in a University or College environment.
  • ST: Union of Civil Servants. It represents employees in the government sector, including lecturers, researchers and PhD students.
  • Naturvetarna. It specifically represents scientists.

SULF and Naturveterna are part of Saco-S, a unifying union for academic scholars. ST is separate, it is a union for all (administration to professor), as the work floor consists of all.

Both postdoc fellows with stipends and salaries can become a member of Naturvetarna, ST or SULF. SULF and Naturvetarna have a "stipend" option in their application forms. For ST, you may have to email and explain your situation. ST will consider you as a student to give you a reduced fee. For all unions, if you are on a Stipend you pay the lowest membership fee. When on salary, the membership fees will be calculated on your income.

If you are a member of a union, the union representative can also help out in case you encounter any form of mistreatment at work.

Opening a Bank Account

It is quite difficult to open a bank account without your personnummer, but it is possible depending on which person you encounter at which bank. Visit the Moving to Sweden page and the KIPA webpage for more information.

Guides of Sweden

The Newbie Guide

Everything Sweden

Pregnancy for Postdocs

The rights that postdoctoral researchers have in relation to pregnancy and parental leave depend on the type of contract that one has. Read all about this on our separate page on Pregnancy for Postdocs.

Moving with your family

You can register your spouse/partner at Migration Board and Skatteverket. Swedish laws recognize same gender marriages and unmarried couples. In the latter case, you and your partner can register as sambo, a Swedish term that denotes a couple that lives together but is not married. Visit the Family page for more information.