VPN service | KI-VPN
When working remotely, you can connect via our Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access KI’s private network and internal resources – such as shared folders on a file server.
KI-VPN: new service replaces AlwaysOn and Cisco AnyConnect
The background to this change is the IT Office's continuous IT security work; new security requirements from MSB also state that access to authorities' systems must be behind MFA (multifactor authentication). With the new VPN service, which requires user login, this will be fulfilled.
KI AlwaysOn VPN will shut down on 12/6, and Cisco AnyConnect at the end of August.
- As a user, you need to switch to KI-VPN on your own to continue accessing a VPN service and work seamlessly remotely. Look at the guides below to get started with the new service.
- KI-VPN is launched for the University Administration first, starting on 17/4.
- The launch will continue towards departments within Coordinated IT, preliminary during week 18.
- Affected employees will receive an email with instructions before the software is distributed to their computers. For the software to be installed, the computer must be connected to an active VPN or KI's internal network if you work on-site. When the software is installed and ready to activate, a message will appear on your screen.
- Note that you cannot be connected to KI's network and VPN at the same time. VPN should only be used to reach KI resources while working remotely. You must therefore activate KI-VPN when working remotely outside KI networks.
- Departments outside Coordinated IT will receive individual plans to replace Cisco AnyConnect when the above launch is completed.
With KI-VPN, your computer works just as it would if you were on campus. This means that you are identified as a KI employee and have direct access to KI:s resources, without an additional login.
Please note that KI-VPN is not available for students at KI.
The login to KI-VPN takes place in two steps
You will use KI-VPN through the software FortiClient, which you can easily access from the system tray (bottom right corner in Windows, upper right on Mac).
You connect by right-clicking on the icon and choosing "Connect to KI-VPN Primary" and after that log in by:
- Username and password (your KI ID)
- Verification via your phone
If you encounter problems logging in, try the second option "Connect to KI-VPN Sedondary". Always try this option first, before contacting Helpdesk for assistance.
Please note that you will need to reconnect to VPN at every new session (for example when restarting your computer) - it will not stay connected indefinitely.
See these detailed guides from Helpdesk if you need help to get started:
KI-VPN for Windows
Step 1: Turn off AlwaysOn VPN
Step 2: Connect to KI-VPN
KI-VPN for Mac
I belong to an institution outside Coordinated IT, can I install FortiClient?
FortiClient is distributed only to Karyon clients (KI computers within Coordinated IT). For the time being, you can use Cisco AnyConnect outside of Coordinated IT. When a new solution becomes available, it will be announced on this page.
Can I use FortiClient on a lab computer?
No. You may continue using Cisco AnyConnect until a new solution is in place.
Can I use FortiClient on other devices, such as a personal tablet or computer?
No. FortiClient can only be used on KI clients at the moment, but this might might change.
Do I need VPN to access my saved files?
You don't need to use VPN to access OneDrive or Teams. However, you need VPN to reach central file servers like (G:) and (P:).
Below you will find a listing of which central systems currently require a VPN to be accessed remotely.
If you encounter problems getting started with KI-VPN and need to contact the Helpdesk, describe the situation as thoroughly as you can and answer the questions below that are relevant to you, for the fastest possible help:
- Time and date of connection attempt.
- What could not be accessed if it concerns a specific service, system, application, storage location.
- Where were you at the time of the error; at home, at a hotel, other location.
- How was the computer connected; mobile broadband, Wifi, network cable.
- Which operating system; Windows, macOS.
Create a ticket at KI IT Selfservice
Guidelines for remote work
- Only connect to the VPN when you need it. This ensures capacity and accessibility to KI resources for those who need it. Most resources can be accessed without a VPN connection.
- Get in the habit of disconnecting KI-VPN when you take a break or join a meeting.
|Skype for Business||No|
|Self Service (Mac)||No|
|File storage (G:, P:)||Yes|
|Software Center (PC)||Yes|
|Drupal, training environment||Yes|
Contact for questions
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact Helpdesk.