What is an incident — examples
Have you been involved in or witnessed some kind of irregular or unlawful situation or noticed a potential danger? The more we get to know, the more effectively we can act, and the better placed we will be to make Karolinska Institutet a safer, more secure and more sustainable workplace.
You can submit an anonymous report and describe incidents or near incidents, such as financial irregularities, bullying or harassment, research fraud or anything else that you want to give the university management knowledge of. Our development work requires that we get acquainted with such deviations, and we want to encourage you to note events that should not be reported.
In the first instance, with the name of the person behind the report, but if for any reason this is not possible then anonymously.
Here you are to report all events affecting your physical and psychosocial work environment.
Near accident — have you been involved in or witnessed something at the university that could cause injury or sickness?
- Fume hoods with broken alarms have been used for a long time – this could have exposed people to harmful substances.
- Animal cages and sawdust containing harmful substances have not been labelled – this could pose a health threat to the people responsible for emptying/cleaning the cages.
- Emergency equipment (eye-wash fountains, fire extinguishers, etc.) has not been checked.
- Hazardous waste is wrongly labelled, packaged or stored.
- The illicit transport or unlabelled scientific samples on the shuttle bus.
- Colleagues/students failing to observe the proper handling/safety procedures.
- The lack of risk assessments for experiments.
- Colleagues/students failing to wear the required safety equipment.
- The dangerous or irresponsible use of instruments/tools.
Accident at or travelling to/from work — has anyone been injured at or on the way to/from the university?
- By slipping and breaking an arm.
- By coming into contact with a corrosive chemical.
- By cutting themselves with a knife.
Work-related illness — are you on sick leave, or are you receiving medical attention related to your work/studies?
- Allergic reaction to toxic substances at the workplace.
- Pain the neck/shoulders/back owing to monotonous or heavy work.
- Workload stress or discrimination/harassment.
Students should also contact the Student Health Service.
Incidents and accidents concerning fixtures etc. (e.g. ventilation, temperature controls or lighting) are to be reported direct to Akademiska Hus or similar leasing company.
Safety & Environment
Here you are to report all events that (might) affect the local environment.
Staff — for people employed at or affiliated with KI and who have a KI user name/password.
Student — for or students at KI who have a KI user name/password.
A report must be made of all types of incident at KI. The system has 12 different types of event to choose from in the online form.
- Fire and evacuation safety - e.g. during a fire drill it is discovered that an emergency exit was blocked or people stayed behind in the building.
- Information safety - e.g. I’ve lost a flash drive containing important and sensitive personal data that I need in my research.
- Personal safety - e.g. I’ve been threatened by a visitor to the campus.
- Activism - e.g. activists are blocking the entrance to a KI building or are standing outside aula medica handing out leaflets about a specific experiment.
- Break-in, attempted break-in
- Theft, attempted theft
- Damage to premises - e.g. graffiti, vandalism
- False alarm
- Environmental damage or incident - e.g. spillage of hazardous chemicals, ignorance of KI’s rules for handling waste has led to chemicals being poured down the drain or the leakage of chemicals/toxic substances into the environment.
- Miscellaneous - If the report concerns an incident that covers more than one category, use the most relevant one.
KI needs all such events and incidents reported so that we can fix what isn’t working and create safer, more secure campus environments for all. We therefore offer an anonymous function for reporting suspected irregularities in order to protect the person filing the report from reprisals.
Clicking on the link will bring up a log-in window. If you enter your normal KI log-in, your basic details will be entered automatically into the form.
If you have problems with IT services, contact IT-support.
Examples of action taken
Incidents and events that have been reported have already helped improved the environment you work or study in.
Owing to the large number of reported cuts and wounds from sharp objects, KI has consulted with the Student Health Service and the Occupational Health Service to create a set of procedures to ensure that everyone receives the same care and treatment.
A practical session has also been introduced into the Basic Laboratory Safety course, which is compulsory for all doctoral students.