Courses and resources for addressing sex and gender aspects of research
Here we list courses and workshops about the sex-and-gender dimension of research content, as well as tools to help you integrate it in your own research.
- Bench to Bedside: Integrating Sex and Gender to Improve Human Health Course. Free online course by the US National Institutes of Health. It is divided into 6 thematic modules:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pulmonary disease
- Mental Health
- Sex as a biological variable (SABV): A Primer. Free online course by the US National Institutes of Health. It is divided into 4 modules:
- SABV and the Health of Women and Men
- SABV and Experimental Design
- SABV and Analyses
- SABV and Research Reporting
Online Training Modules: Integrating Sex & Gender in Health Research. Free online course by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research. It is divided into 3 thematic modules:
- Biomedical Research
- Primary Data Collection in Human Participants
- Analysis of Secondary Data from Human Participants
'Statistical Considerations for Sex Inclusion in Basic Science Research' is a recorded presentation explaining statistical and sample-size considerations for including sex as a biological variable.
Series of free webinars by the Gender Equality Academy EU on the sex and gender dimension of research in diverse areas, including health, medicine, robotics, Covid-19, mobility, and AI.
- The Gendered Innovations website, a peer-reviewed project developed at Stanford University and supported by the European Commission and US National Science Foundation:
- develops practical methods of sex and gender analysis for scientists and engineers and
- provides case studies as concrete illustrations of how sex and gender analysis leads to innovation.
- Genderedinnovations.se, developed at Karolinska Institutet, is the Swedish version of Stanford’s Gendered Innovations and contains useful content in the form of Swedish expertise, experience, tools, videos, and case studies.
- Sex and gender research methods, developed by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, is a series of methods articles aimed at equiping researchers with practical tips and tools from prominent researchers on integrating sex, gender, and other identity factors into various fields of health research.
- Janusmed Sex and Gender is a knowledge bank with structured information on sex and gender aspects of drug treatment.
- US FDA's Drug Trials Snapshots provide consumers and healthcare professionals with concise information about who participated in clinical trials that supported the FDA approval of new drugs.
- GenderMed Database of scientific publications allows you to search publications that address sex and gender differences. The database is updated on a weekly basis by an automated search in PubMed.
- Gender Experts is a free worldwide database of women experts on gender equality. The experts are researchers, leaders of associations, or professionals of a sector integrating a gender approach in their activity.
- Gender Equality Academy is a Horizon 2020 project developing and implementing a high-quality capacity-building programme on gender equality in research, innovation, and higher education.
- LIBRA is an EC-funded project that brings together ten research institutes in ten European countries to promote gender equality in life sciences.
- PORTIA is a UK not-for-profit organisation with extensive expertise in EU gender and STEM policy, and intersections with European instruments such as ERA. It is the architect of the Gender Summit platform, which aims to jointly examine new scientific evidence showing when, why, and how sex/gender issues impact research and innovation outcomes.
- NIH ORWH is the US National Institutes of Health's Office for Research on Women's Health
- Institute of Gender in Medicine is a research institute in Berlin that focuses on interventions to promote healthy behaviors and how such interventions can be designed in a gender and diversity sensitive way.