Fixed-term employment

​​​​​​​An employment can be limited in time for several reasons. Fixed-term employments are regulated in law, regulations and collective agreements.

The mail principle is that an employment is valid until further notice unless otherwise is agreed. All employments must follow KI´s rules on announcement. The appointments procedure collects rules for employment of teachers and researchers.

Basis for fixed-term employment according to the Employment Protection Act

Probationary employment

Max 6 months. If an employee has been employed at KI before, the main rule is that is it not possible to hire on an probationary employment, but there are exceptions, for more information contact the department´s contact person at the negotiation unit. The employment can be terminated, see avsluta provanställning, by the employer but also by the employee. If the probationary employment is not terminated, it will be transferred to an employment until further notice.

General fixed-term employment (ALVA)

No more than 2 years in total at KI over a 5 year period per point.

Substitute employment

No more than 2 years in total at KI over a 5 year period per point. Have to be a real substitute, work instead of somebody on parental leave, sickleave or otherwise.

Seasonal employment

Not applicable to KI.

Employment of employee after the right to remain employed is no longer valid

The main rule is that theese employees are employed until further notice after 2020-01-01, they can also be employed on an general fixed -term employment (alva). See KI:s Rules for employment after the right to remain employed is no longer valid.

Basis for fixed-term employment according to The Employment Ordinance Section

Occasional, short periods.

Basis for fixed-term employment according to Higher Education Ordinance (Högskoleförordningen)

Adjunct Professor

First employment 4 years, can be extended for max 4 years at a time, max 12 years. Extent 20-50 %. Temporary competence from activity outside of the university sector that does not normally exist in the regular activities.

Visiting Professor

First appointment max. 3 years, may be extended. Employment can be no more than 5 years in total. Extent 20-100 %. Employed by other Swedish or foreign university/ corresponding.

Assistant professor (biträdande lektor)

The appointment must be least 4 years and max 6 years, the term can be extended under special circumstances as leave from work due to illness, parental leave or other special circumstances. Appointment must be decided before the employment. PhD obtained within a maximum of 5 years before the application deadline. Has the right to aply for promotion to senior lecturer.

PhD student

Employment no more than 8 years (when employed at 50 per cent) or no more than 4 years (when employed at 100 per cent). First appointment no more than 1 year, may be extended by 2 years at a time. Employment to no longer than one year after receiving a PhD. The employment is normally 100 % but if the OhD student request, it can be on part-time, bur not less than 50 %. The time spent studying by the third-cycle student while not appointed to a doctoral studentship shall be deducted from these periods.

Clinical assistant

Maximum 1 year at the time, may be extended to max 3 years in total. Duties within clinical education and research

Only those who have been awarded the degree of Master of Science in Medicine or Master of Science in Dental Surgery or are admitted or have been admitted to third-cycle studies in medicine or odontology may be employed as clinical assistants.

Teaching assistant

Maximum 1 year at the time, may be extended to max 3 years in total. Max 50 % of full-time. Duties within education, administration or participation in research. Only those admitted to first or second-cycle courses and study programmes may be employed as teaching assistants

Basis for fixed-term employment according to collective agreement


An employment as postdoc is a time-limited merit-based employment with a main focus on research as a first career step after the dissertation. A person can be employed as postdoc at KI for a maximum of four years, partly according to a collective agreement for postdocs (PKA) of a maximum of three years and partly as an so-called special fixed-term employment of a maximum of 1 year (will be introduced October 1, 2022 when the new Employment Protection Act apply).

In order to be employed according to PKA, the doctoral degree should have been completed in the last three years before the end of the application period. If there are special reasons, the degree may have been completed earlier. Special reasons refer to leave due to illness, parental leave, commission of trust within trade unions, service in the total defense or other similar circumstances as well as clinical service or service / assignments relevant to the subject area. An employment according to PKA may also be extended based on the above special reasons. However, it must always be extended on the basis of parental leave. An employment as postdoc refers to full-time work.

Adjunct lecturer

No more than 2 years at a time, may be extended without time limit. Normally 20 % of full time employment. Temporary competence from activity outside of the university sector that does not normally exist in the regular activities. Usually no salary is paid but salary can be paid per hour.

Special terms of agreement for certain employments (VASA)

Max 24 months. The purpose is to facilitate employment that promotes general labor market, social and employment policy goals in accordance with section 4 of the Employment Ordinance.

Guidelines for Employment Conditions for Service Abroad (URA)

FIxed-term employment for service abroad. The employment conditions are regulated in a foreign service contract and are tailored from requirements, assignments and the employees situation. More information here.

For more information regarding basis for fixed-term employment or labor law questions please contact contact persons below. For questions about recruitment or appointment procedure please contact the competence provision unit at the HR-department.

Fixed-term employment with hourly wage

It is possible to pay hourly wage for people who have a fixed-term employment. Most of the time, a general fixed-term employment is used as a basis for employment, but other grounds for employment can also be used, e.g. the Employment Ordinance. These people must get an employment contract. When the employee has worked, he or she must inform the immediate supervisor or other assigned person of the hours during which the person has worked. The person must state how many hours worked each day, preferably via email.

Jenny Wärnlund


Åsa Agréus


Carolina Ström