Salary setting and review

Salary setting is based on the central salary collective agreement (RALS). Salaries are set on objectively and business-based criteria.

Salary administration

New employee

Karolinska Institutet, KI, has Swedbank as its payment services provider. As an employee, you will get your salary and other benefits paid through Swedbank. You need to electronically register your account number with Swedbank for payment to be made to the right account.

Please note that this requires a Swedish personal identity number or coordination number. If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number or coordination number, you can personally register your account with a Swedbank office. If you do not have a Swedish bank account, you also need to visit a Swedbank/Sparbank office. Read more on Swedbank´s website. For questions regarding account registration, please contact Swedbank’s support.

After you have registered your bank account with Swedbank, you will get your salary and other benefits paid to the bank and bank account that you have stated. Salaries are usually paid on the 25th of each month.

If the 25th falls on a Saturday, the salary is paid the Friday before and if the 25th falls on a Sunday, the salary is paid the Monday after.

Bank clearing number

The bank clearing number is the number that specifies a certain bank. Clearing numbers at Swedbank consists of five digits, while the other banks have clearing numbers that consist of four digits.

Change of bank or bank account

If you switch from a forign bankaccount to a Swedish bankaccount, you must also contact your branch so that they can remove the link to the foreign account as it is more dominant.

Money order

If you have not registered your account number with Swedbank, you will be paid your payroll through a payment card sent to the address registered in the PA web. The payment card can then be redeemed at your bank or against goods / cash in stores connected to ClearOn / Kassagirot such as ICA, Direkt, CityGross, Statoil, Pressbyrån, SevenEleven, Willys and Coop.

ClearOn / Kassagirot charges a fee to redeem your payment card. If you choose to redeem your payment card at a bank account and deposit the money into your bank account, the bank will not normally pay for this.

Change of address

If you move, don't forget to change your address in the PA-web.

Foreign bank account

If you have a coordination number or a social security number and a foreign bank account, you will have to visit a Swedbank/Sparbankenoffice and register your account. Please note that it can take up to two weeks to get your foreign bank account registered.

In order to register your bank account, you will have to bring the following:

  • Coordination number or social security number
  • A decision from the Swedish Tax Agency regarding coordination number
  • An employment contract with KI
  • Passport or a Swedish identity card that is issued by the Swedish Tax Agency
  • KI:s agreement number 029572

You can also contact HR at your department and report your IBAN number, BIC number, coordination number or social security number, name and address. KI will then contact Swedbank and register your foreign bank account.


New employees are required to submit an income-tax demand note (skattsedel) to their workplace. You can order a demand note from the Swedish Tax Agency’s website. If you do not submit a demand note, then a so-called penalty tax according to taxation table 31 plus 10 % extra will be withheld. Any tax adjustments should be submitted without delay to your payroll specialist.

Salary specification

You can find and download your salary specification at the PA-web.

Contact Payroll Unit:

Swedbank bank account form

More information for logged in staff

There is more information for those of you working in the following groups

  • C2.Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
  • C3.Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
Log in with KI-ID