Salary and tax

On this page you will find information about how your salary is paid, about tax and how salary is paid to foreign new employees and scholarship holders. You can read about your salary specification and find contact details for all central payroll specialists.

Payment of salary via Swedbank

Karolinska Institutet, KI, has Swedbank as its payment services provider. As an employee, you will get your salary and other benefits paid through Swedbank.  You need to electronically register your account number with Swedbank for payment to be made to the right account. The registration needs to be done no later than the 21st of the month. After you have registered your bank account with Swedbank, you will get your salary and other benefits paid to the bank and bank account that you have stated.

Please note that this requires a Swedish personal identity number or coordination number. If you do not have a Swedish personal identity number or coordination number, you can personally register your account with a Swedbank office. If you do not have a Swedish bank account, you also need to visit a Swedbank/Sparbank office. Read more on Swedbank´s website. For questions regarding account registration, please contact Swedbank’s support. If you have not registered your account number with Swedbank, a payment check will be sent to your home address.

Salaries are usually paid on the 25th of each month. 

For employees with an hourly wage, the salary is paid the month after work has been performed. If the 25th falls on a Saturday, the salary is paid the Friday before and if the 25th falls on a Sunday, the salary is paid the Monday after.

Change of bank or bank account

If you change bank or bank account, you need to register your new bank account on Swedbank's website in order for the payment to be paid to the new account. If you switch from a foreign bank account to a Swedish bank account, you must also contact Swedbank so that they can remove the link to the foreign account as it is more dominant. Provide Swedbank with KI:s salary agreement number when deregistering: 029572.

Swedish bank account that is registered with your bank's fictitious social security number

You can have a Swedish bank account with a fictitious social security number at your bank (if you do not have a coordination number or Swedish social security number).

When a change to social security number takes place in KI's payroll system, you must contact your bank and make sure that the account you want your salary deposited into is linked to the new social security number.

Report the account to Swedbank again.

If you do not make this update before the 21st of the month, the payment will be rejected and a cash notice will be sent to your home address.

This is how you redeem a cash voucher

If you have not registered your account number with Swedbank, you will be paid your payroll through a payment card sent to the address registered in the PA web.

If you have a BankID or a security token/bank card reader can redeem your cash notice online on Swedbank's website.

If you do not have the opportunity to redeem your cash notice, it is also possible to redeem it at a Swedbank/Sparbank office and, for a fee, at an agent for ClearOn (Ica, Coop or Hemköp).

Change of address

If you move, don't forget to change your address in the PA-web.

Foreign bank account

If you have a coordination number or a social security number and a foreign bank account, you will have to visit a Swedbank/Sparbankenoffice and register your account. Please note that it can take up to two weeks to get your foreign bank account registered.

In order to register your bank account, you will have to bring the following:

  • Coordination number or social security number
  • A decision from the Swedish Tax Agency regarding coordination number
  • An employment contract with KI
  • Passport or a Swedish identity card that is issued by the Swedish Tax Agency
  • KI:s agreement number 029572

You can also fill in a account notification form and when you have signed it, you give it to your local HR department who will ensure that your foreign bank account is notified.


New employees are required to submit an income-tax demand note (skattsedel) to their workplace. You can order a demand note from the Swedish Tax Agency’s website. If you do not submit a demand note, then a so-called penalty tax according to taxation table 31 plus 10 % extra will be withheld.

Any tax adjustments should be submitted without delay to your payroll specialist.

If you want an extra or a higher tax deduction you need to inform your local HR department about it annually. You can request either a percentage or an amount.

30% tax is deducted from hourly wages and other compensation unless you have notified otherwise.

If you are a school youth who does not have to pay tax, you must submit a current certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency to your local HR.

If you live abroad, you must apply for SINK tax at the Swedish Tax Agency and submit it to your local HR.

Salary specification

As of December 2022, everyone who receives a salary from KI will have their specification sent to Kivra.

As an employee/monthly employee, you can also find your salary specification in the PA web.

Contact Payroll Unit:

Swedbank bank account form

More information for logged in staff

There is more information for those of you working in the following groups

  • C2.Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics
  • C3.Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
Log in with KI-ID