Accounts and passwords
Below you will find relevant information on how to change your password and about your KI-ID.
Change password for your KI-account
You can change your password in Office 365, if you remember your current password.
When choosing a new password, please always remember to follow KI’s password regulations.
When you have changed your password, log out and into your computer with your new password to reset all programs and services. Don’t forget to put in your new password into other services such as eduroam and your cell phone.
Have you forgotten your password?
When you have forgotten your password, you can reset your password for your KI account yourself. You need to activate two-step verification.
IT Support is not able to change or reset your password.
How to create a strong password
Strong passwords/phrases should be
- not written down
- sufficiently long and unique to be unguessable by others
An easy way of creating a strong password is to think of a phrase or a sentence instead of a single word. Use, for instance, short words separated by an underscore, dash or other character in the sentence that you thought of.
Improve your password phrase
- Remove the spaces between the words and capitalise the first letter of each word or use a special character like #,= or ^ to separate the words.
- Add or replace letters with numbers and special characters using a “translator” that you have decided yourself.
Please note that you must not use your KI-password outside KI. You need to use another system for passwords used in private websites like Facebook, public email servers and others.
How should the password be composed?
Your password must:
- contain at least 10 characters.
- contain at least two letters and either at least two special characters or digits. Note that the Scandinavian vowels (å, ä, ö etc.) may not be used.
- not contain personal information, such as your name or social security number and it may not be used outside KI.
Read Karolinska Institutet’s password regulations (pdf)
Remember your user responsibility
You are personally responsible for ensuring that your password meets the complexity and management criteria given in the rules and for keeping it strictly private. Never give your password away or disclose it to anyone asking for it by mail, on the phone or in any other way. You must not use the same password outside KI or for logging to any services other than those operated by KI (e.g. Facebook, public email servers or private websites).
Your KI Account
When starting at KI, you receive an account consisting of a username and a password. The username is called your KI ID. Usually the KI ID is composed of the first letters of your pre- and surname.
These data are personal and should not be used by others. You must not give your personal information to anyone. If abuse occurs, your accounts will be blocked.
When you stop working at KI
If you are a student
If you are a student and have questions regarding your student account, please visit the page My student account
More information for logged in staff
There is more information for those of you working in the following groups
- C3.Department of Physiology and Pharmacology
- OF.Department of Dental Medicine
- OV.University Dental Clinic