ERC Application Guidelines
Here we provide a guide for applications to the ERC calls with Karolinska Institutet (KI) as your host institution.
The 2022 ERC Work Programme was released in July 2021. Most of the calls from this Work Programme are now closed. The one you can still apply to is the ERC Proof of Concept call:
- ERC Proof of Concept Grants (PoC): In the 2022 ERC Work Programme, there are two ERC PoC calls. The first call (ERC-2022-PoC1) has now closed. The second call (ERC-2022-PoC2) has three deadlines: 15 February 2022, 19 May 2022, and 29 September 2022. Make sure you read the 'Information for Applicants', the official guide for this call. To be eligible to apply to this call, you must be a Principal Investigator with an ERC main grant that either is ongoing or has ended less than 12 months before 1 January 2022.
The 2023 ERC Work Programme was released in July 2022, and includes the following calls:
ERC Frontier Research Grants
- ERC Synergy Grants (SyG) 2023: the call is now open. Deadline: 8 November 2022.
- ERC Starting Grants (StG) 2023: the call is now open. Deadline: 25 October 2022.
- ERC Consolidator Grants (CoG) 2023: expected to open 28 September 2022. Planned deadline: 2 February 2023.
- ERC Advanced Grants (AdG) 2023: expected to open 8 December 2022. Planned deadline: 23 May 2023.
Complementary Funding for ERC Principal Investigators
- ERC Proof of Concept Grants (PoC) 2023: expected to open 20 October 2022. Planned cut-off dates: 24 January 2023, 20 April 2023, 14 September 2023.
Please contact email@example.com if you plan to apply to any ERC call with KI as host institution.
Host Institution support letter for ERC applications
A Host Institution support letter with KI's logo is required for all ERC applications. The Host Institution support letter must be signed by an Authorised Representative; in most cases, this is the Head of Grants Office, Björn Kull. An Application Assurance Form, which is completed by the PI, Head of Department and Department's Head of Administration, is a prerequisite for obtaining a signed Host Institution support letter from Grants Office.
If you are planning to apply for an ERC grant, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can provide you with the application assurance form template, call-specific documents you may require, and details of the support we offer.
Registering your application
Go to the submission link and log in with your ECAS account login (ECAS = European Commission Authentication Service). Choose External and log in. Otherwise, choose External and Create an account, and follow the given instructions.
Once you have logged in and provided basic information you will come to STEP 3. Here you should log in and create a draft proposal. Information you will need at STEP 3 is:
KI’s PIC (PIC = Participant Identification Code): 999978530
Registration data for the proposal, i.e. Acronym and Short Summary
Select an ERC Review Panel (applies only to Starting, Consolidator, and Advanced Grants)
The registration data can be updated/changed at a later stage.
STEP 4 Add Björn Kull as your Main Host Institution Contact and email@example.com as his contact address - DO NOT USE HIS OWN EMAIL ADDRESS!
STEP 5 Edit the proposal. Click on edit forms to enter the administrative part of the proposal, called Proposal Submission Forms. The administrative forms must be completed online. Some parts of the forms are prefilled based on your data entered at registration.
Download Part B templates (in the left column). These forms can be filled in offline and uploaded when complete.
For StG, CoG and AdG applications, choosing the right panel is an important step towards having your proposal reviewed favourably. ERC panel members generally sit for 3-4 terms and sit every second year.
Coordinator (ERC Starting Grant and Consolidator Grant)
Phone:+46-(0)8-524 869 59
Organizational unit:Grants Office
Coordinator (ERC Advanced Grant, Synergy Grant, and Proof of Concept Grant)
Phone:+46-(0)8-524 869 86
Organizational unit:Grants Office