Moving from Sweden

A checklist of things when moving from Sweden.

Consider the following before moving from Sweden:

The Swedish Tax Agency

If you have a personal number but leave Sweden in order to live abroad for at least one year, you have to notify the Swedish Tax Agency about your move abroad and register your new foreign address at least one week before departure. Fill in, sign and send the form Notification moving abroad

If you had employment, you must file a Swedish tax return concerning your final fiscal year in Sweden, see Moving from Sweden and Declaring taxes

Your bank

Make sure you stop all automatic withdrawals and close your account when you move from Sweden. Contact the branch office where you opened your bank account.


If you have worked and paid tax in Sweden, you have earned a Swedish pension. You are entitled to the pension even if you live in another country. If you live abroad, the way that you apply to receive a Swedish pension depends on the country. Read more at the Swedish Pensions Agency and SPV.

The Swedish Migration Agency

In case you are planning to move back later and have permanent residence permit, fill in the form Notification of desire to retain permanent residence permit and send it to the Swedish Migration Agency

KI Alumni

Keep in touch with KI through KI Alumni

Content reviewer:
Ulla Tunkara