Narcotic drugs and narcotic drug precursors
As a state-owned, scientific institution, Karolinska Institutet does not require a permit for possession of narcotic drugs necessary for scientific research, examination or teaching (Law on Control of Narcotic Drugs, 1992:860, 7§).
Every department that in their operations use narcotic drugs or narcotic precursors shall appoint a manager for pharmaceuticals that require a prescription including narcotic drugs.
See form for delegation under “Documents”. The completed form shall be registered at the department and a copy shall be sent to email@example.com
The manager is responsible for:
- Purchase and requisition of narcotic drugs and other pharmaceuticals that require prescription.
- That narcotic drugs are kept so as to eliminate the risk of unlawful uses (LVFS 2011:9, 28§).
- That narcotic drugs and pharmaceuticals that require prescriptions are handled in a safe manner.
- That all single events that lead to changes in the possession are noted in a paged logbook. It must be possible to control all changes made to the notes. For detailed instructions, see LVFS 2011:9, 16§-21§. The notes must be kept at least 5 years (LVFS 2011:9 26§).
- That there is documentation with information on which personnel has the authority to handle narcotics and which personal signature belongs to which person (LVFS 2009:11 26§).
The Medical Products Agency is the appointed authority of supervision and may control the notes/documentation of the management of narcotic drugs as well as ask for annual accounts of possession of narcotic drugs.
More information for logged in staff
There is more information for those of you working in the following groups
- Molekylär medicin och kirurgi