Select and admit to doctoral courses
When the course catalogue has closed for application it is time to start with the admission to the course. Detailed instructions about admission are sent to the current course organisers. On this page you will find general information.
To make the selection for admission
In the selection process applicants are grouped together on the basis of the general selection criteria. Within each group a ranking is made based on the specific selection criteria specified in the course catalogue (course occasion). When admission has been made in the first selection group (KI doctoral students and those equated) and there still are vacancies, one can move on to the next selection group (KI post docs), and so on.
Applicants within the category "other applicants" may be offered a reserve position, in anticipation of more applicants that result in compensation for the course provider (normally doctoral students or KI postdocs).
- Drawing lots is not permitted. It must be possible to rank the applicants.
- Admission may never be based on the order that the applications were received. Selection is performed after expiration of the application period.
- A general piece of advice is to try to admit a few extra applicants in order to ensure that the course can start and obtain funding. If there are not enough participants, you should consider cancelling the course.
- In KIWAS under Help in the left hand menu you will find a quick reference guide that describes each step more in detail.
Admission is done at the department of each course by using the function for admission in KIWAS. Applicants who have been admitted via KIWAS, and then also have accepted the offer via KIWAS within specified time, will be transferred to the course occasion in Ladok (provided that they in their application have stated a complete personal identity number).
Manual processes associated with admission should be avoided as far as possible. Manual handling is used:
- when an applicant has only entered birth date (not a complete personal identity number) in KIWAS. If the person is lacking a Swedish personal identity number and is not already established in Ladok, a passport copy needs to be requested.
- when admission to vacancies is performed outside KIWAS (late applications). See also below under Applications outside the catalogue.
- when applicants accept an admission offer via KIWAS after the data transfer has been done (last reply date is decided by the course organiser when preparing for admission in KIWAS and the data transfer date should at this point be taken into account).
In these cases the course organiser must contact the department's administrator for doctoral education to have the participants manually added to Ladok. This should be done as soon as the admission is carried out.
It is mandatory to use a supervisor certificate to be signed by the applicant and his/her supervisor and returned in order to accept the admission offer, in parallel with a reply via My courses in KIWAS. By this the doctoral student verifies that the course is in line with the planned studies. This certificate also applies to KI postdocs who by this also prove their status as KI postdocs.
Remember, when receiving the signed supervisor certificate, to check that the applicant also has accepted the course offer via My courses in KIWAS.
To consider regarding the use of the supervisor certificate:
- It is mandatory to use for admission to doctoral courses.
- The certificate should be pre-filled by you as a course provider with the relevant information before sending it to the applicant you are admitting.
- Be aware of that the supervisor certificate is an admission offer, and hence should not be used for application for courses.
- It is only relevant to the applicant groups KI doctoral students, doctoral students from other universities and KI postdocs (i e those groups that have a supervisor or PI).
- In case of late cancellation without acceptable reason you may send an administrative fee to the KI supervisor/PI, provided that you have received a signed certificate. Please note that we can’t send invoices to other universities for this, so this only applies to KI doctoral students and KI postdocs.
If you have vacancies left on a course after the end of the application period, you may advertise the course further through the website for vacancies on doctoral courses. If you expect more than a couple of applications, we recommend that you create a survey for the purpose (see description under Missed the deadline for the catalogue?), to ensure that you receive the information from the applicants that you need to make a proper selection. Then send this link to email@example.com for publication on the web site.
If there is only need for a few applicants in order to fill a course, you can receive the applications via email (but then may have to request more information from the applicants). Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the course number, title and email address to the person to which applications should be sent.
Please note, though, that both the admission process for these additional applicants and the registration (admission) in Ladok will be manual.
Late applications outside the catalogue
Late applications received after the course catalogue has closed for application are processed manually outside KIWAS. The supervisor certificate (see below) has to be attached to the admission email. The course responsible department is responsible for that these course participants are manually added (admitted) to the course occasion in Ladok. Send a complete participant list to the Ladok administrator for doctoral education at the department responsible for the course.
Normal workflow for courses
For courses that are advertised via the course catalogue, this is the normal workflow from application to completed course evaluation and analysis, see the document The workflow for admission to doctoral courses.