Applying for funding of freestanding doctoral courses
Doctoral courses are primarily to be given within one or several doctoral programmes or research schools and thus be financed by those. For other so-called freestanding courses it is possible to apply for funding from the Course and programme committee. This is done once a semester.
Budget template for application for funding of freestanding courses above standard amounts, or for courses that exceed 3 hp.
Type of doctoral courses that can be granted funding by the committee
Type of doctoral courses that can be granted funding by the Course and Programme Committee:
- General science courses according to the General syllabus for doctoral education (labelled with * in LADOK).
- Courses that support the application of statistical knowledge (e g statistics with R and various large statistical programmes) across the borders of the doctoral programmes.
- Courses that are required for certain doctoral students according to the General syllabus: within laboratory animal science, human biology or pathology, basic laboratory safety and quality assurance of clinical research.
- Courses that do not fit into one or more of KI:s doctoral programmes, but meet the following criteria:
a. There is enough demand for the course among the doctoral students at KI.
b. The course is relevant for doctoral students from several research groups.
That the criteria 4 a-b are met must be proven/motivated.
Standard compensation amounts and conditions for granting of funding
Standard amounts according to the list below apply to courses up to 3 hp credits (corresponding to two full-time course weeks). For longer courses the applications will be assessed based on reported estimation of teaching intensity and budget.
A higher standard amount is granted for courses that are provided directly at the request of the board, since the department’s self-interest in such courses can be assumed to be lower.
Compensation is granted for the first three categories of applicants according to the selection criteria, namely doctoral students at KI, post docs at KI and doctoral students from other national or international institutions, unless otherwise stated in the decision on funding for the specific course.
In the decision on granting of funding the approved amount is stated together with a conditional minimum number of doctoral students and KI post docs that must be met in order to provide full compensation. If less than the established minimum number have completed the course and the examination (but not necessarily passed), funding is reduced in accordance with a particular principle – see Requisition of funding.
Standard compensation to KI departments for arranging doctoral courses (INDI included):
|Number of credits||Courses provided at the department's initiative||General science courses and other courses needed according to the General Study Plan|
|1,5 hp||65 000 SEK||80 000 SEK|
|3 hp||130 000 SEK||155 000 SEK|
What granted funding can be used for
Granted funding can be used to cover certain costs associated with a course, such as:
- Teacher’s costs (internal and external)
- Teaching material (not course literature)
- Teaching premises
Above the standard compensation, the Course and Programme Committee can reimburse the department for extraordinary costs, for example external teachers with unique competence, laboratory activities that require extra resources, special materials. This requires a motivation and a budget. Funds cannot be used for expenses related to catering / refreshments.
How and when to apply
An application for funding from the Course and Programme Committee for a freestanding doctoral course is sent to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the specified deadline. Decision is taken at one of the committee’s following meetings (usually in March and September before the next semester). The application shall include:
- Form to apply for funding for freestanding doctoral courses
- Budget and motivation, if the course exceeds 3 HEC or if applying for a higher amount than the specified standard. (Please use the budget template below).
- The latest course analysis (if the course has been given previously).
Through the application form, the applicant certifies that the Head of department, at the course responsible department, has approved the appointed course director and the examiner of the course, as well as guaranteed that Ladok administrative support is provided for the course in question.