Erik and Edith Fernström Foundation for Medical Research
Erik and Edith Fernström Foundation hereby invites applications for scholarships to conduct medical research.
The scholarships will be awarded for research at top foreign research institutions. The primary purpose is to support researchers whose research objectives cannot be achieved at corresponding Swedish institutions, but that can be expected to generate results of value for ongoing medical research in Sweden.
The scholarship can, for example, be used to finance a shorter stay (1-6 months) at a foreign research institution or laboratory, in order to become acquainted with new technology or to establish a collaboration. Funding will be granted for travel and other expenditures not covered by the researcher’s salary during the travel period. The funding is not meant to cover a regular salary or for accompanying family members.
Researchers and registered doctoral students at Karolinska Institutet are eligible to apply for a scholarship. Exchanges with Karolinska Institutet’s partner universities and institutions are given a certain degree of priority.
The disposable amount is usually between 1,800,000 and 2,300,000 SEK, but can also vary between years. Awarded grants varies between 50,000 and 400,000 SEK per person. You can never get more than the requested amount.
The application must contain a research plan of maximum 15 000 charachters (approximately 4 A4-pages), a description of the purpose of the trip (max 1 A4-page), expected results of the visits for the research at KI (1 A4-page), a motivation for choosing a host institution (max 1 A4-page), ethical considerations and a budget where indirect costs must also be stated.
The following attachments should be enclosed:
- Invitation from the host institution
- The travellers CV
- A publication list stating the 10 most relevant publications for this call besides a complete publication list for the previous 5 years and the current year. Minimum for doctoral students without publications, is to attache a manuscript
- If the traveller is a PhD student, the application should contain a letter of recommendation from the supervisor including his/hers CV and publication list.
- Information about how the trip will be financed, including information about salary during the stay
- List of ten representative publications from the host institution.
- Anyone who has previously received funds from the foundation must attach a progress report for consideration of the new application.
The application must be submitted digitally. The online form will be available through KI Prisma during the application period, January 11 – February 8, 2022. The application period opens at 10 am on January 11 and closes 2 pm on February 8.
Decision of grant will be taken by the Board of the Foundation. All applicants will be notified by e-mail in the end of May.
For this call we will want to have a short scientific report of approximately ½ A4 page and a short financial report, also about ½ A4 page, describing how you used the money. If you have not used the money at all during the disposition period, these should be returned to the Foundation.
Reports are submitted in Prisma approximately 12 months after the money has been paid out. You will receive an email notification when it is time to report.
For questions regarding this call please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org