Leave of absence

You have a right to some forms of leave of absence; others can be granted if they take work into consideration. A leave of absence may be with or without pay. Regulations are stipulated through general agreements and local agreements and guidelines.

Paid leave

If necessary and in consultation with your immediate manager, you may take a paid leave of absence in the following cases:

  • family matter
  • move
  • union representative mandate
  • exams
  • doctor’s appointment
  • dental appointment in acute situations or if referred

Family matter within your own family or immediate family circle includes:

  • Spouse/ Registered partner/ Live-in partner
  • Children and grandchildren
  • Siblings
  • Parents/step-parents
  • Grandparents
  • Parents-in-law (includes parents of the spouse, registered partner and live-in partner)
  • Daughter/Son-in-law (includes children of the spouse, stepchild, registered partner and live-in partner)


Unpaid leave

An unpaid leave of absence may be for the following reasons:

  • other government position
  • care of a close relative studies

An unpaid leave of absence does not qualify for holiday leave.


  • Make your application of leave of absence via the PA web.