Working from abroad (URA-contract)

Applies to employees at KI who will be stationed abroad after the employer's decision. Please see checklist for employees below in "Documents". Information and forms for HR, see HR-support.

Below is a brief information about serving abroad. Prior to a possible contract writing, see also "Checklist for URA for employees".

Agreements on foreign contracts and guidelines for terms of employment in employment abroad (URA) are used for employees who will be stationed abroad during their service. The agreement gives the employer the opportunity to agree with the employee on terms of employment based on the requirements of the business, the nature of the assignment and the employee's individual situation. With the support of URA, KI can employ employees for a limited time for foreign service.

Before an employee moves abroad, a URA contract must be drawn up between KI and the employee, stating the conditions that apply throughout the entire international service. Examples of this may be compensation for additional expenses, housing costs, compensation for relocation and travel, etc.

Accompanying family members may also be subject to benefits and conditions linked to the employee's foreign service, which is regulated in the contract.

A person stationed abroad by a Swedish authority is considered to be resident in Sweden and covered by Swedish social insurance, which means that they retain sickness benefit, parental benefit and child allowance. Employees stationed abroad must therefore be registered (folkbokförd) (an exception can be for stationing in the Nordic countries, local HR should contact central HR in these cases) and socially insured in Sweden. A certificate of social insurance (A1 certificate) from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency and an identity card (“personbevis”) from the Swedish Tax Agency must be received by HR at the time of writing the contract. The A1 certificate from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency has a very long processing time, so apply for this in time.

The employee must not have lived / been stationed in the same country as the stationing is intended to be in, immediately before the URA stationing.The employee must also not receive other compensation during the posting abroad.

Salary and ev. other remuneration is paid from Sweden and taxed according to Swedish law.


URA insurance is for those who are posted abroad on a URA contract. It includes personal injury cover (including accidents) that applies 24 hours a day as a posted worker. There is an additional insurance for maternity and childbirth which is valid from 200301. The terms and conditions of the insurance can be found at Kammarkollegiet.

KI has a group insurance for all those deployed under the URA agreement. The URA group insurance also includes insurance for maternity care and childbirth. Contact your local HR to obtain these e-signed certificates. These certificates outline what is included in the URA insurance and for maternity care and delivery.

Marie Curie financing

If the broadcast is financed in whole or in part by Marie Curie's funds, this must be reconciled with the HR department before the URA contract is drawn up.


Profile image

Åsa Agréus

Profile image

Carolina Ström

Content reviewer:
Åsa Agréus