Wellness allowance at KI
The rules include regulations regarding the wellness allowance (Friskvårdsbidraget), wellness hour (Friskvårdstimmen), access to the campus gyms and physical activity on prescription (FaR).
The primary purpose of the wellness allowance is to stimulate and inspire to regular and recurring physical activity. According to Swedish tax regulations the wellness allowance is regarded as a tax-free employee benefit, if it meets certain requirements. For more information, please visit the Swedish Tax Agency website.
Rules at KI
- The wellness allowance is offered to empolyees only..
- The maximum amount is 1500 SEK per employee and calendar year.
- It is not possible to receive reimbursement for same activity before expiry date of that particular activity.
The allowance is proportional to hours worked.
- Gymcard, punch cards, single tickets for physical activities (such as gymnastics, aerobics, strentgh training, climbing, ball sports, martial arts, horseback riding, sailing and skiing) Body-mind activities such as yoga, qi gong and tai chi are included.
- Cloud based apps and web applications aimed at physical activity and exercise.
These may include:
- Online exercise programs aimed at physical training for example yoga, HIIT, circuit training
- Registration services for running or walking tracks
- Fitness tracker apps, such as step tracking and heart rate monitor apps
How do I register the expense in the PA-web?
- Take a photo or scan your receipt.
- Register your expense in the PA-web (Primula) as ”Preventive health care”
- Upload the receipt as an attachment in the message field.
Last date for registration: 30th November the present year.
The original receipt must show your name, the amount paid, the date, duration period and type of activity. If you have paid by autogiro, you must take a photo of your bank statement and a receipt from the health club.
Save the original receipt - don´t submit any paper receipts.
May I use the wellness allowance for massage?
No. Treatments and passive therapies are not reimbursable activities. KI has chosen to subsidize physical activity based on WHO guidelines and on FYSS in order to prevent sedentary work day and increase physical activity. We understand the notion that massage should be considered as a health promoting activity, but have decided to draw the line between passive and active types of activity. Regular physical training is the key to staying healthy as well as an important part in the prevention and treatment for shoulder, neck and back pain. Moreover, we believe that a gym card or equivalent will give you the most benefits of regularity.
Is it possible for the employer to subsidize competition and membership fees?
Membership fees are considered taxable benefits according to the Swedish Tax Agency and will not be approved.
Registration fees, such as fees for running events, are considered tax-free benefits.
I have bought a pair of running shoes. Is this expense reimbursable?
No. Expenses for clothes and shoes are taxable and thus not reimbursable.
What are the rules regarding golf?
You may use your wellness allowance for golf lessons and range balls. Membership fees, rental of equipment will not be subsidized.
Can I use my wellness allowance for horseback riding lessons?
Yes, but not for membership fees, rental of equipment or facilities.
Which amount do I get if I start on July 1st and is employed 50% of full-time?
You work 50% and will then get 1500 kr/2 * 0,5 = 375 SEK.
Which amount do I get if I am employed 80% of full-time for 6 months?
You will get 80 % of half of the amount, i e 1500/2 x 0,8 = 600 SEK.
What information should the receipt contain?
The receipt should contain the date of transaction showing date, month and year. It should contain the type of activity and it should be clear that it is personal.
Is personal training reimbursable?
You may use your wellness allowance for personal training session if they do not exceed 1000 SEK/session.
Where do I find the rules and guidelines regarding the wellness benefits at KI?
The governing documents relating to HR and Work Environment is available on "Rules and guidelines A-Z".
More information for logged in staff
There is more information for those of you working in the following groups
- C4.Department of Neuroscience
- C7.Department of Learning, Informatics, Management and Ethics
- K6.Department of Women's and Children's Health
- K8.Department of Clinical Neuroscience