Guidelines on entertainment, gifts and certain benefits in kind
The purpose of the guidelines is to clarify the difference between external and internal representation and when and to what extent business entertainment is appropriate. The policy stated in these guidelines shall be applied regardless of how an activity covered by the guidelines is designated or entered into the accounts.
- Diary number: 1-766/2019
- Dnr preg. version: 1-806/2016
- Decision date:
- Validity period: Until further notice
- Decision: University director
- Document type: Guidelines
- Handled by department/unit: HR-avdelningen
- Preparation with: Central administration
- Revision with respect to: Clarification and linguistic changes, changes to monetary limits and changes to guidelines for external and internal representation.
Summary of the guidelines
These guidelines are intended for employees who utilise funds belonging to Karolinska Institutet (KI) for entertainment, gifts and certain benefits in kind. The guidelines do not cover students, affiliates or others who are not employed by KI. KI does not permit entertainment aimed at students. These guidelines apply to the entire organisation irrespective of financing and whether entertainment takes place in Sweden or while travelling abroad on business.
As a public authority, KI is required to manage public funds in a responsible manner. This particularly applies to entertainment, gifts and benefits in kind.
All entertainment at KI shall have a direct connection to KI’s operations, both in terms of the time and place at which entertainment is offered and those taking part. With regard to timing, entertainment shall be offered in direct conjunction with the activity to which it relates. Those taking part in entertainment shall have a direct connection to the activity in question.